7mm Blaser Mag information

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Post Reply
7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Looking for a little load information on the 7mm Blaser mag, preferably information related shooting the 180 Bergers or the 175 Hornady ELD-X bullets.

There seems to be little or no load information for the 7mm Blaser Mag. Does no one load their own for this or is it so unpopular nobody has one or what because I can find zero load information pertaining to one of these things.



User avatar
Corjack
Administrator
Posts: 9303
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Missouri
Location: Booger county Missouri
Contact:

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by Corjack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:56 pm

You are the only fellow I ever heard of that had one. Maybe somebody could check quick load for you.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s


Booger county time and temp
Image
Click for weather forecast

7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Corjack wrote:You are the only fellow I ever heard of that had one. Maybe somebody could check quick load for you.
I'm new here and I don't know anyone so take that into consideration but are you just kind of having a little fun with me or are you serious? I'm good with teasing the new guy so no worries if you are. :)

If you're serious, Holy Moly, is the 7mm Blaser Mag really so unpopular that nobody has one?!

I don't have one yet, I have a donor Rem 700 that is getting fitted for a new tube and I'm having it chambered in 7mm Blaser mag.

Seemed like it should be a good alternative to the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm WSM, no belt to deal with like the Rem mag and brass seems to be easily available unlike the 7WSM.

What am I missing, why is it so unpopular?

I have QL and I've run multiple different combinations through it, I was just kind of looking for some first hand knowledge and figured since this is a Blaser board, I'd stand a better chance of finding someone that has one. Maybe not though.

User avatar
Corjack
Administrator
Posts: 9303
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Missouri
Location: Booger county Missouri
Contact:

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by Corjack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:22 pm

I am not teasing. You are the one I ever heard of that owned one.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s


Booger county time and temp
Image
Click for weather forecast

User avatar
Corjack
Administrator
Posts: 9303
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Missouri
Location: Booger county Missouri
Contact:

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by Corjack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Have you looked at the 280 AI? You can get Nosler brass for this caliber.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s


Booger county time and temp
Image
Click for weather forecast

7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Corjack wrote:Have you looked at the 280 AI? You can get Nosler brass for this caliber.
I briefly considered a 280 Ack Imp. but I was looking for a little more case capacity for those 175-180's than the 280AI offers and the donor rifle I'm using has a mag bolt face.

User avatar
KZ45
Meister der jagd
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 10:15 am
Location: Nevada USA

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by KZ45 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:45 pm

7BlaserMag wrote:
Corjack wrote:You are the only fellow I ever heard of that had one. Maybe somebody could check quick load for you.
I'm new here and I don't know anyone so take that into consideration but are you just kind of having a little fun with me or are you serious? I'm good with teasing the new guy so no worries if you are. :)

If you're serious, Holy Moly, is the 7mm Blaser Mag really so unpopular that nobody has one?!

I don't have one yet, I have a donor Rem 700 that is getting fitted for a new tube and I'm having it chambered in 7mm Blaser mag.

Seemed like it should be a good alternative to the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm WSM, no belt to deal with like the Rem mag and brass seems to be easily available unlike the 7WSM.

What am I missing, why is it so unpopular?

I have QL and I've run multiple different combinations through it, I was just kind of looking for some first hand knowledge and figured since this is a Blaser board, I'd stand a better chance of finding someone that has one. Maybe not though.
I actually have one, with 200 new Norma cases, Redding dies, and some Norma Oryx ammo. My goal is to be the first to pioneer load data, and take game in America with it :D It's a a bit of work though. As you pointed out, there's really nothing solid out there, and I want to be safe about it. I'm recording and verifying everything meticulously. I'm trying to come up with Max case length, trim length, COAL, etc. So far I've fired 40rnds of the Norma Oryx 156gr., in a R8 Professional with kickstop, and can tell you that the recoil was around 30-06 level.

I have a landowner tag for Elk in Nevada, and will be going that way in November. If I have something ready, I'd like to take this with a 160gr. Accubond. Once I have some solid information on it, I'll post loads in the reloading forum.
IMG_2390.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Corjack
Administrator
Posts: 9303
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Missouri
Location: Booger county Missouri
Contact:

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by Corjack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 pm

go for it guys. We love eclectic stuff, or most of us would not be here.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s


Booger county time and temp
Image
Click for weather forecast

7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 pm

KZ45 wrote: I actually have one, with 200 new Norma cases, Redding dies, and some Norma Oryx ammo. My goal is to be the first to pioneer load data, and take game in America with it :D It's a a bit of work though. As you pointed out, there's really nothing solid out there, and I want to be safe about it. I'm recording and verifying everything meticulously. I'm trying to come up with Max case length, trim length, COAL, etc. So far I've fired 40rnds of the Norma Oryx 156gr., in a R8 Professional with kickstop, and can tell you that the recoil was around 30-06 level.

I have a landowner tag for Elk in Nevada, and will be going that way in November. If I have something ready, I'd like to take this with a 160gr. Accubond. Once I have some solid information on it, I'll post loads in the reloading forum.
IMG_2390.jpg

You're about 3-4 months ahead of me but on a similar path. I figured a couple hundred rounds of brass should last the life of the barrel. Standard FL and seater die set is all I could find for one of these so they'll have to do. I haven't run any #'s through QL for the Nosler 160's so I'm not sure what powders look good but for the 180 Bergers Vhit 570 and RL33 are top performers, at least per QL they do. Sometimes real world says different but QL has been extremely close for me so far.

I'd really appreciate hearing your results so please keep me updated on your results.

Is there really nobody else in North American with enough interest to build a 7mm Blaser magnum other than you and I?? I'm not sure if I should be thinking that's pretty cool or if I'm really just that nuts for wanting to do something nearly no one else is. lol

User avatar
TheoR8
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am
Location: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by TheoR8 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:06 am

Nice, I would love a 7mm blaser mag just for something different. :handgestures-thumbup:

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by ebrownw2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:18 am

There was a 7mm Blaser mag R8 barrel on ebay yesterday too cheap to pass up so Im now a member of this club even if I didnt mean to be. Seriously. Read it too fast and thought I was buying a rem mag. Ha!

7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:39 am

Finding 7mm Blaser Mag brass and reloading dies isn't particularly easy but they're out there if you do a little searching. Norma makes the brass and the standard Redding 2 die set is all I could find. Once it all gets put together and I have some fired brass I may have a custom FL bushing die made.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by ebrownw2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Midsouth has the brass in stock. Midway has the Redding dies as a special order item. I'm getting a couple of boxes of factory ammo with the barrel so I think I'll just try it out using that and decide if I like it enough to keep it before plopping down the $$ for dies.

thechamp
Administrator
Posts: 8280
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: San Antonio
Location: San Antonio, Tx.

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by thechamp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 pm

ebrownw2 wrote:There was a 7mm Blaser mag R8 barrel on ebay yesterday too cheap to pass up so Im now a member of this club even if I didnt mean to be. Seriously. Read it too fast and thought I was buying a rem mag. Ha!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I saw that and wondered who on earth had bought it. I too read it first to be a 7 Rem Mag and then something didn't look quite right. That's funny... If you can get it figured out it might well be a really good deal you fell into. I'm reading the other post and they're perking my interest in the cartridge and I've been a 7 Rem mag fan for a very long time. Be nice though if somebody made some ammo that was priced like the regular 7 Rem mag. BTW I know the seller and he has been a Blaser fan for quite some time. I bought a couple different items from him over the years. He's good people so you'll be getting a good barrel for a heck of a price.

7BlaserMag
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: 7mm Blaser Mag information

Post by 7BlaserMag » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 am

Got my brass and dies the other day so I started a little brass prep work. The Norma brass seems to be pretty decent quality and I'm impressed so far with the consistency of the brass. After prepping about 25 pieces I grabbed four random pieces and checked their case capacity with water. They went, 82.1, 82.1, 82.0, 82.2 which is pretty close to what my QL program showed. Those numbers will likely increase a little once they get fireformed to the chamber.

I've got 3 different bullets coming, 175 ELD-X, 180 Berger Hunting VLD, 183 Sierra MK. I'm thinking RL26 or N560 and the Hornady 175 ELD-X will be what gets tried first. Still probably at least 6+ weeks away from even being close to putting anything downrange though.

Post Reply

Return to “Reloading”