MEC Rifle Press

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

MEC Rifle Press

Post by Corjack »

I have used a Coax press for many years. Got along real well. I would like a press that would cam over. I am thinking about trying one of these https://www.mecshootingsports.com/press-assembly .
I like the way it centers the shell holder loosely, and the room it has in the front.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: MEC Rifle Press

Post by stokesrj »

I don't know anything about the Mec, owned many of their shot shell loaders, they were great. I really like my RCBS summit but have also looked at the Hornady Iron Press http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/353329 ... tage-press
One feature I like is the runway to the shell holder which places the case at the right height to slide into the shell holder. I also like that it has tool storage and detachable bins. I use the bins a lot on my Dillon.
Robert J Stokes

NickSim

Post by NickSim »

Corjack wrote:I have used a Coax press for many years. Got along real well. I would like a press that would cam over. I am thinking about trying one of these https://www.mecshootingsports.com/press-assembly .
I like the way it centers the shell holder loosely, and the room it has in the front.

Have you read my post in the "Co-Ax Press Parts" thread? If you are happy with the press but are looking for more travel, you can replace the straight linkage arms with curved ones which allow the handle to drop all the way down till it touches the press. If you wanted to get cheap about it you could just grind off the cast in stops.

I myself don't like that idea, and every die I've ever had has enough thread where I can get that little bit of cam over without any issue.

Now if you are just ahem, looking for a change of scenery, having justifiable reasonings ready to go for the spouse is always a good idea and I could see having that press for charging cases, pulling bullets, or any other 'reason' that can be conjured up. :D

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

NickSim wrote:
Corjack wrote:I have used a Coax press for many years. Got along real well. I would like a press that would cam over. I am thinking about trying one of these https://www.mecshootingsports.com/press-assembly .

Have you read my post in the "Co-Ax Press Parts" thread? If you are happy with the press but are looking for more travel, you can replace the straight linkage arms with curved ones which allow the handle to drop all the way down till it touches the press. If you wanted to get cheap about it you could just grind off the cast in stops.

I myself don't like that idea, and every die I've ever had has enough thread where I can get that little bit of cam over without any issue.

Now if you are just ahem, looking for a change of scenery, having justifiable reasonings ready to go for the spouse is always a good idea and I could see having that press for charging cases, pulling bullets, or any other 'reason' that can be conjured up. :D
At one time I had 5 presses mounted on my bench. not a big deal really.

Chief

Post by Chief »

Never seen that before,interesting.
Even I have 5 presses,not planned at all,so I will sell or trade one or two.
Here is one I have,which is not that common,I think : http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=81&from=36
That one is staying though.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Very cool that you have a Corbin press. I know of a few, but very few, still in use swaging bullets from 22LR cases.
Robert J Stokes

NickSim

Post by NickSim »

May I ask purely out of honest curiosity, why would someone want to have 5 presses? I can see a use for 2, but anymore than that has me thinking that I'm missing something?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

NickSim wrote:May I ask purely out of honest curiosity, why would someone want to have 5 presses? I can see a use for 2, but anymore than that has me thinking that I'm missing something?
Hoarders syndrome. If you have to ask, you will not understand it.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Did you get the MEC? I'm thinking of getting one too..
Jordan

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

JPBlaser wrote:Did you get the MEC? I'm thinking of getting one too..

No, I have not. It is still on my list of things to do.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I ordered this today. May have it by Friday.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Good job,looking forward to hearing an honest opinion about it...
It will be a bit of a challenge getting one... so I really need to know if it`s worth it...
I could end up turning the funds for the press to dies and other reloading accessories... :D

Best regards,
Jordan

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Got the press today. Cleared a spot on the bench for it, and drilled holes. No big deal. Sized eight 9.3x74R brass, which is about the biggest thing I have to work with. Still getting a feel for it. Different then the Forrester I am used to, but the bigger size press is a lot easier to handle 9.3 brass. It does not really cam over, just goes up against the shell holder and stops. I will play with it. Not really formed an opinion yet.
IMG_3372.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dom

Post by Dom »

I have 4 presses, but two is all I really need.

You'll have to pry the Foresters Coax out of my cold dead fingers before I buy any more :lol:
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Corjack,how`s the press performing so far,did you have time to load some ammo with it?

Best regards,
Jordan

Return to “Reloading”