Case Annealing.... benefits?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

klstclair

Case Annealing.... benefits?

Post by klstclair »

Starting to look seriously at case annealing. Specifically the AMP machine Other than longer case life I am wondering if there are any real accuracy benefits. Carl L.

UPEgger

Re: Case Annealing.... benefits?

Post by UPEgger »

Something just happened.... I posted this as UPEgger and it appeared as kistclair. After logging off I logged on again and all is normal again. I am now UPEgger. Anyone else have this anomaly occur?
Carl L.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Well worth getting. Every second shot with my 338lap imp case I anneal them.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The logging in under the wrong name is a known problem Ron is trying to hunt down.

In theory, neck annealing will provide a more consistant release of the bullet. However, if it does, I can't measure it, other factors may prevent that benefit from being observed.
I do know that bench rest shooter do not anneal, they want that case so that the bullet snaps into place for top accuracy.
There is no doubt that annealing will help prevent cracked case necks.
Robert J Stokes

UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

Thanks for the replies. I will not be annealing for ????. Instead I ordered out the 6mmBR case holder, cutter head and blade for my Giraud Trimmer. That takes the pressure off my need to spend some money on my sport. Carl L.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have the Giraud trimmer and use it on my 6mm BR as well as about 40 other calibers. That is a much wiser use of money in my opinion. But I must admit that the AMP machine is super cool techology.
Robert J Stokes

Bucky

Post by Bucky »

stokesrj wrote:The logging in under the wrong name is a known problem Ron is trying to hunt down.

In theory, neck annealing will provide a more consistant release of the bullet. However, if it does, I can't measure it, other factors may prevent that benefit from being observed.
I do know that bench rest shooter do not anneal, they want that case so that the bullet snaps into place for top accuracy.
There is no doubt that annealing will help prevent cracked case necks.
stokesrj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Url1QguVhHE
That is basically by method, only different is I drop them into a bucket of cold water.

Measurement of annealing may well be felt when seating projectiles, and "feeling even pressure" on the seating lever of your press.
Kinda hard to explain, as the expansion ball and case mouth opening, (consistency of neck width) also has effects on seating pressures, as well as the consistency of the width of the projectiles.

ie... ever noticed that there is the odd projectile that is harder to start and seat, then some of the text above may come into play.

What I try to do is get the case preparation exactly the same, or at least "as close to as humanly possible" , before I start Priming and throwing powder and seating, and by doing that I believe I have done my bit, to ensure consistent reloads.

Cheers
Bucky

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

The cold water is a wasted effort when anealing brass, unless you are just doing it to keep from burning your fingers.

Anealing is done more to achieve consistent knock tension. Rather than preventing split, or cracked necks.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Annealing does help make with split necks, though, because it softens the brass making it more malleable. I anneal for a friend of mine with that dreaded 25 WSSM cartridge. Without annealing, necks will start to split after 2-3 loadings.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote:The cold water is a wasted effort when anealing brass, unless you are just doing it to keep from burning your fingers.

Anealing is done more to achieve consistent knock tension. Rather than preventing split, or cracked necks.
Crazy putting them in water. Let them cool down on there own.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I got a bag of second hand brass from Aussiegunnut for the 6mmBR that he was even nice enough to anneal for me.
No split case necks from the cases I've reloaded 3 times now, out of 200 or so only two had splits after sizing so that's pretty good from retired competition brass.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

deerhunter338mag wrote:
Corjack wrote:The cold water is a wasted effort when anealing brass, unless you are just doing it to keep from burning your fingers.

I find that sort of interesting, as brass is an unusual metal or rather alloy that tempers when quenched.
Other metals harden and get brittle but not brass, although brass work hardens much faster then other materials so to me annealing makes sense.

But other then increased case life I don't see any advantage to it for a hunting rifle. I will leave neck tension and the rest to people who actually know something about BR shooting.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:

I find that sort of interesting, as brass is an unusual metal or rather alloy that tempers when quenched.
Other metals harden and get brittle but not brass, although brass work hardens much faster then other materials so to me annealing makes sense.

But other then increased case life I don't see any advantage to it for a hunting rifle. I will leave neck tension and the rest to people who actually know something about BR shooting.
When you shoot a 338 Lap imp and use Lap brass it's well worth doing. I've most likely put about 400 rounds down it now and I'm still using the original brass I 1st fire formed.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Brass is a non ferrous metal. It does not harden when quenched. It also conducts heat better, and cools down quickly when removed from heat.

Return to “Reloading”