Redding deluxe three die sets

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

JPBlaser

Redding deluxe three die sets

Post by JPBlaser »

Is anyone using redding deluxe die sets for 9,3x62 and 8x57is cartridges?
Are they worth the extra cash compared to hornady,rcbs?
I'm about to order one set for the 9,3 and another set for the 8mm...
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Jordan

stokesrj

Re: Redding deluxe three die sets

Post by stokesrj »

I don't own the Redding Deluxe set in the calibers you inquired about but do in several other calibers. At one time I thought they were worth it, and I guess that in some situations of brass thickness and bullet diameter they are perhaps worth the extra. But these are exceptional circumstances like military brass developed for machine guns and possibly others. For standard commercial brass including RWS, Lapua, Remington, Winchester, Hornady and so forth, I get just as good of performance from standard RCBS, Hornady, Redding, or Forster and superior results from Whidden and Wilson dies. So I doubt I will ever buy another set. All will produce ammunition capable of 1/4 MOA with the right recipe.
Robert J Stokes

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I do get nice results with my RCBSes...but for some reason I wanted to upgrade to a nicer set of dies..I may scrap that idea...
Thank you very much for the input.

Best regards,
Jordan

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I have used the Redding Premium Die Set for 6.5x55 and a few others and they are a very nice set of dies at a reasonable price. However, my favorite is the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die which has an outstanding spring-tensioned feed sleeve and very fine repeatable micrometer settings.

Mostly what we are talking about is convenience. I suspect any quality die that is well maintained will provide very satisfactory final results. You can just "tweak" the bullet depth on these micro dies and make very small precise changes that can be recorded with the load data for repeatabilty in the future. I do a lot of COAL in relationship to throat/leade - "freebore" adjustments to maximize accuracy, and those dies suit that process well.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I already ordered the forster benchrest seater(it`s the same spring loaded feed sleeve but without the micrometer adjustments) and a forster bump neck sizer for the 308 barrel I have. I wanted to upgrade the 9,3 dies I currently have and purchase dies for my mauser m98 8x57.. After reading the input from Mr.Stokes and giving it some thought I decided to save some money,so I ordered another set of rcbs-es for the 8mm and ordered one rcbs neck sizer for the 9,3(much more convenient when dealing with cases that you pulled the bullet out of). With the money saved I plan to obtain two kilos of nice powder and some bullets.. :D

Best regards,
Jordan

Return to “Reloading”