308 projectile choice.

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

SPEEDY

308 projectile choice.

Post by SPEEDY »

I've been using the 168gn Amax for an LR projectile in the 308win and it does a pretty damn good job, but I loaded up some 125gn SST's that I had growing old in the reloading gear that I never got around to loading.

I brought them along to run through the the 308 barrel that came with the Luxus as they were loaded in some old Winchester brass, and I didn't want to loose the Lapua brass I loaded the Amax's in spotlighting or in the scrub.
But so far the barrel and the SST's are 5/5 for hits and kills.
That had me thinking about running them in this barrel from now on.
But I have thousands of the Amax pills and they do a pretty damn nice job too. So I'm trying to decide if I should give them a proper run and buy more.
Both shoot under 1/2" but the SST's being so pointed are maximum for the magazine and can get stuck when cycling at least a little, but being lighter they are flatter shooting out to 350m.

So I'm mulling it over, game is going to be Pigs, Goats and Fallow for the most part.

I'm leaning towards sticking with the Amax but I'm not locked in stone.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

JPBlaser

Re: 308 projectile choice.

Post by JPBlaser »

I don`t like both the projectiles you mentioned...
A-max is only good for critters you don`t intend to eat as it fragments a lot.
The Sst is a little better,but it`s not good for the bigger pigs as it also fragments when hitting bones specially in the lightweight you want to use.
I'm currently using 165 grain interlocks,but am looking to substitute them with something more reliable.
I suppose that some kind of a mono metal bullet in the 150 grain weight will be the best for all around use and keeping as much meat as possible...

Best regards,
Jordan

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Stick with amax and go hunting.

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

Speedy what OAL did you load the 125gr SST's to?

I tried them in my barrel and you would have thought I used a shotgun.

I really want to use them because the light bullets hammer the little deer here in the UK.

You mention them being flatter at 350 meters than the A-Max. For me it's wind that is an issue at 350 meters not the drop. The little Roe buck I took last weekend in open moor in 20 mph wind was 175m. My 120gr 7mm nosler was blown 12cm in that short distance. I'll be moving to to 160gr ELD's or similar to buck the wind.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

go the SST they seem to be great killers.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Scotch_egg wrote:Speedy what OAL did you load the 125gr SST's to?
2.82" :handgestures-thumbup:

Although I can't be 100% the primer was perfectly flush in the case.
But the trick I've found with the SST's is to put it in the same die set to your most accurate load and then keep backing the projectile into the case until it fits into the magazine.

SST's are so pointed that it's hard to get them close to the lands.
JPBlaser wrote:I don`t like both the projectiles you mentioned...
A-max is only good for critters you don`t intend to eat as it fragments a lot.
The Sst is a little better,but it`s not good for the bigger pigs as it also fragments when hitting bones specially in the lightweight you want to use.
I love them as I chest or head shoot, Amax pills are explosive true, but they destroy internal organs and cause massive instant damage.
They also penetrate and usually exit too. They don't work on heavy bones but are great for head and chest shots.
I only take hind legs and back straps so meat damage to the chest region doesn't bother me.

They are very similar pills as far as expansion goes but the SST hold its weight better and the Amax has more weight so it evens out in that regard.

That's what has me stuck in which to run, if I was going to change pills then I'd go with the 168gn Nosler BT.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

If you've got plenty of the A-max then use them and go hunting. They are pretty explosive and can result in considerable damage.
I found my r8 in 308 preferred a heavier pill. I went through a few different pills when trialling and ended up with the Berger 175 VLD Hunting.

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

SPEEDY wrote:
Scotch_egg wrote:Speedy what OAL did you load the 125gr SST's to?
2.82" :handgestures-thumbup:

Although I can't be 100% the primer was perfectly flush in the case.
But the trick I've found with the SST's is to put it in the same die set to your most accurate load and then keep backing the projectile into the case until it fits into the magazine.

SST's are so pointed that it's hard to get them close to the lands.

Thanks speedy. I wondered if you seated to the cannula. i will give them another go.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Their tricky, due to the long taped length their OAL tends to be much longer then most.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote:Their tricky, due to the long taped length their OAL tends to be much longer then most.
I'm trying to work a load with the 95gr SST and 20thou off but I thinking I need to be around 10thou as there still not pulling in.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I had huge problems with trying to get the 129gn SST to shoot in my Model 7 260rem.

To get them to shoot accurate in my gun they were seated out so far they wouldn't fit in the magazine.
They could shoot 1.5" when seated to fit the magazine but when seated out they would shoot under a 1/2"

I think I could get away with using a Swede mag in the 308 when using heavier SST's but they aren't that good compared to a Nosler BT IMO.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote:I had huge problems with trying to get the 129gn SST to shoot in my Model 7 260rem.

To get them to shoot accurate in my gun they were seated out so far they wouldn't fit in the magazine.
They could shoot 1.5" when seated to fit the magazine but when seated out they would shoot under a 1/2"

I think I could get away with using a Swede mag in the 308 when using heavier SST's but they aren't that good compared to a Nosler BT IMO.
I'm 20 thou off now I'm going to go 10 thou next

Return to “Reloading”