.22 Hornet Dies

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

.22 Hornet Dies

Post by 9.3x64 »

Can anyone with experience with the little 22 Hornet please recommend me a set of suitable dies, and any useful tips peculiar to loading the little Hornet.
Should I use a Lee crimping die?

Thankyou in advance.
Allan

I have aleady sourced Remington 61/2 primers.
RWS brass on order.
Lilgun powder.
40 grain Hornady VMax bullets.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Dom

Re: .22 Hornet Dies

Post by Dom »

I've used different Die brands, but best for me is pony up and get a set of RCBS Competition Dies = bullet seating made easy.

Another tip, yes use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. My standard load is 11gr Lil Gun pushing 35gr VMax. Dynamite load. I also use Rem 6 1/2 primers, and RWS cases. This load is compressed, and chrono's close to 3000 fps.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Dom wrote:I've used different Die brands, but best for me is pony up and get a set of RCBS Competition Dies = bullet seating made easy.

Another tip, yes use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. My standard load is 11gr Lil Gun pushing 35gr VMax. Dynamite load. I also use Rem 6 1/2 primers, and RWS cases. This load is compressed, and chrono's close to 3000 fps.
Sorry Dom what do you mean by 'pony up"?
What oal do you load too?

Thankyou Allan

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Im guessing they vost a chunk more then standard dies but are worth the extra coin.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

SPEEDY wrote:Im guessing they vost a chunk more then standard dies but are worth the extra coin.
I was going to buy a set of Lee dies, but when you consider the tiny size of hornet bullets I think the window in the side of the RCBS competition seating die is a real practical design.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Id go the lee, I don't mind them for hunting rounds and they still do a very good job.
I've had them in 223, 6.5x55, 308win and 270win and got hunting loads that would cloverleaf.
They might not be the best but they do the job just fine, my 308win loads in the lee dies are just as accurate as my 6mmBR loads are from my foster competition dies.

Unless your looking for a poofteenth difference in group size then they wasted money.
But if you you don't mind that then buy them, its a matter of personal preferences and I tend to destroy dies with stuck case removal eventually so I'd rather get the cheaper dies.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Dom wrote:I've used different Die brands, but best for me is pony up and get a set of RCBS Competition Dies = bullet seating made easy.
So these dies http://rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-Catego ... e-Set.aspx

Out of curiosity have you tried Hornady's version with what I call the "sleeve of wizard" seater which protrudes below the die to align the bullet all the way of the cases travel up the die?
Dom wrote:Another tip, yes use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. My standard load is 11gr Lil Gun pushing 35gr VMax. Dynamite load. I also use Rem 6 1/2 primers, and RWS cases. This load is compressed, and chrono's close to 3000 fps.
I think the first tip 9,3x64 is get a hold of Lil Gun ;)

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Yes that's the ones.
I haven't seen the Hornady version but will check them out.
Yep, Lil Gun is the powder by all accounts.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Have used Hornady and RCBS in the past and now more Redding and Forster.
Redding and Forster also make competition sets for the Hornet from what I could see. Their seaters both use the sleeve type set up the Hornady and make seating much easier. You do pay more but in my opinion are worth it. Forster seem to have better availability in Oz than Redding - think that's a stockist issue more than anything.

Dom

Post by Dom »

Having trouble posting anything, tried several times -- anyway if this posts, spend extra to get Comp Dies with sleeve for bullet seating, saves the fingers. Not that Lee won't work, but just a whole lot easier with a window to drop bullet in.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Dom wrote:Having trouble posting anything, tried several times -- anyway if this posts, spend extra to get Comp Dies with sleeve for bullet seating, saves the fingers. Not that Lee won't work, but just a whole lot easier with a window to drop bullet in.
Thanks Dom, I will do that.
Those Hornet bullets are tiny and the window on the RCBS competition seating die is a brilliant idea, especially with my big fat fingers. :lol:

But the next time I need dies for a "larger" size cartridge I am going to give the Lee dies ago.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Hi Dom,
Can you please tell me what COL you load the above load too?

I am going to give your load a try in my BD14 when it arrives.
I have now collected,
RWS cases
35 grain Hornady VMax bullets
Rem 6 1/2 primers
Lee factory crimp die
RCBS competition seater
Redding full llength die

Just need some Lilgun.

Thankyou in advance Allan

Dom

Post by Dom »

You're getting there Allan. I use the Stoney Point Comparater and measure off the Ogive, for my Bockdrilling the measurement is 1.495. For my competition Anschutz it is 1.495. But you should either charcoal the bullet and seat long in your rifle until it hits lands and back off .020, or use the Stoney Point Chamber All and modified Case measurement system. I never cared for cutting it too close on seating to rifling, so most of my loads are between .020 and .050 off lands.

You caught me at a bad time, I normally have hundreds of Hornets all loaded, but have made a major move back to USA and have not loaded any Hornets up yet. That is why I can't give you an OAL or overall length measurement to bullet tip. I need to get busy!! Hope this helps and good luck.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Dom wrote:You're getting there Allan. I use the Stoney Point Comparater and measure off the Ogive, for my Bockdrilling the measurement is 1.495. For my competition Anschutz it is 1.495. But you should either charcoal the bullet and seat long in your rifle until it hits lands and back off .020, or use the Stoney Point Chamber All and modified Case measurement system. I never cared for cutting it too close on seating to rifling, so most of my loads are between .020 and .050 off lands.

You caught me at a bad time, I normally have hundreds of Hornets all loaded, but have made a major move back to USA and have not loaded any Hornets up yet. That is why I can't give you an OAL or overall length measurement to bullet tip. I need to get busy!! Hope this helps and good luck.
Thankyou Dom for taking the time out to respond during your move.
I will use the modified case system and progress from there.
Wow moving to the states, that is a big move.
Good luck.
Allan

Return to “Reloading”