Sabots

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Sabots

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Recently saw mentioned in a thread elsewhere on the .458 Win the concept of running a muzzleloader sabot in a centrefire suitably loaded to bring the bullet weight down to a more practical level for small game. Not sure what is out there in terms of availability, but I know in my hunting grounds I'd rather not slow a heavy big bore down to shoot a rabbit and increase the chance of ricochet.

So anyone know what is available? Is a .458 to .30 sold at BassPro :pray:

Back in the day Remington had a .22 Bullet in a .30'06 but I think they've stopped production long ago

SPEEDY

Re: Sabots

Post by SPEEDY »

Ive tried the 308 ones, a lot and could never nake them work.
3 out if 5 would shoot good enough but the other two could miss the mark by a scary margin.
I dont know about tge bigger ones fir muzzleloaders, they might be made better, of by stuffing them fiwn the front 1st, you might align the better to start with.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

I do tend to look at these things as an alternative to the fangschussgeber for shooting trapped or wounded animals rather than a real ballistic proposition over extended ranges.

Remington were from memory going the other way and trying to turn the '06 into a 4000fps varmint cartridge. I'd still like to get hold of some .30 to .22 sabots though - probably just put a .22 Hornet pill in them over trail boss for pigs in a trap.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If you told me that before I left Darwin I'd have sent you the 200-250 that I had left from trying to make them work.
I tried 300 from this place and couldn't get good 100m accuracy.
https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type- ... 13645.html

But seeing as I still have about 850 sintered metal. 224 pills, they might have been something useful to use as a 308win varmint (close range) load as discussed in that other thread.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

So what happened to the left overs?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/thompson ... ot-bullets
I would try the Havester crush rib 45 sabot for 40 cal pistol bullets, you could then try very frangible pistol bullets to reduce ricochet. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ ... 2045%20cal
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:So what happened to the left overs?
Tossed em out, I should have remembered you never through any firearm related item out. :doh:

Return to “Reloading”