Trail Boss

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

MM
Meister der jagd

Trail Boss

Post by MM »

Being a little lazy and not so adventuress when it comes to reloading I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience using trail boss in the following calibers: 22hornet, 222rem, 308, 30-06, 9.3x74r. I would love to develop some quiet 22hornet,and 222 loads for small game hunting,and some quiet loads for the 308 on up that I can carry with me when hunting larger game to use to pop a grouse or rabbit without scaring everything else away. Any experience to share as always is greatly appreciated.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: Trail Boss

Post by ebrownw2 »

I carry a slingshot with me when elk hunting for when I stumble into a flock of grouse. I've yet to kill one with it but I've had some fun trying.

Once I killed one with my 270 but decided that was too noisy :D So the next time I carried a 22lr pistol. I killed one with it but still made too much noise. So next time I put my son's cricket single shot 22lr in my backpack and killed a couple with it, but decided that was too much extra weight and bulk to lug around all day and besides that it was still too noisy. So, the slingshot is perfect for the job, except for the minor problem of it not actually working. I guess I need more range time with it :lol:

By the way I know nothing about trail boss. Glad to have helped!

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

For a subsonic load start high and work down. From memory for supersonic loads the recomendation is 2/3 fill the case. Down compress trailboss it doesn't like it.
In my 708 with 140gr 9gr is subsonic. In my mates 243 with100gr 8.25gr is subsonic.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

If you want to shoot grouse with a sling shot consult Rufus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBMIVsAj-g
If you want to load trail-boss, look here. https://www.hodgdon.com/trail-boss/
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Loaded 5g under a 40g VMax in the .223 and a couple of grains either side....
Ragged hole accurate at 25m but shoots 6 inches low of my regular load and as noisy as a .22 mag - probably doing similar in velocity.
Going down in charge opened up the groups consider ably at 25m. Yes the obvious, I should have up the bullet weight for the same load to bring velocity down but ended up playing with other projects instead

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I have loads for the 3006, 308 and 9.3x74R. I will update database soon.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

9AA1CDB1-4A07-4443-8059-A209BBAEFBD0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

something like this?

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Tactical slingshot? Needs more pic rails

Grumulkin

Post by Grumulkin »

MM wrote:Being a little lazy and not so adventuress when it comes to reloading I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience using trail boss in the following calibers: 22hornet, 222rem, 308, 30-06, 9.3x74r. I would love to develop some quiet 22hornet,and 222 loads for small game hunting,and some quiet loads for the 308 on up that I can carry with me when hunting larger game to use to pop a grouse or rabbit without scaring everything else away. Any experience to share as always is greatly appreciated.
You're in Ohio so you could have a suppressor. On two occasions I've shot two rabbits; once about 6 feet apart and the other time about 10 feet apart with a surpressed 17 HMR single shot rifle. The still living rabbit was not at all concerned that it's buddy had fallen over and wasn't moving (OK, the last time the first fallen did give a couple of kicks) and wasn't even concerned when a second bullet was on its way to meet it.

What I see in your future is a scoped Thompson/Center handgun in 17 HMR with say a 10 inch barrel and a suppressor.

Let me know how it works. 8-)

Return to “Reloading”