9.3x74r RL19 Woodleigh 320gr RNSN

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: 9.3x74r RL19 Woodleigh 320gr RNSN

Post by 9.3x64 »

Vaughan wrote:Why on earth would shooting off sticks, with the fore end resting on the sticks be different to shooting off the bench with the fore end resting on, well, whatever you rest it on? I don't say it isn't so, I just struggle to understand why. I can see shooting off hand, and even off the sticks, you might hold the rifle differently and your body will absorb the recoil differently but this is still a bit of a head-scratcher for me.
I dont know to be honest.
But when shooting of the sticks the forend was not supported by the sticks. I held it like an offhand shooting position and the sticks were under the reciever just in front of the trigger guard.
Also I dont think shooting off the bench your body rolls with the recoil.
Even offhand without the sticks was great. After shooting the right hand barrel first, it kicks and you roll with it and instinctively bring the sight back on the target at fire the second barrel.
I have fired over a hundred rounds of the bench and they always crossed. Today for the first time offhand and most of the time they didn't, and if they did cross it was only very slightly.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I get the recoil being different but I would not have anticipated the effect of the bbls crossing. Something I will need to check when I correct the regulation for the BB97 next spring.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I can honestly say on the S2 safari in 375 once i got the barrels not crossing on the bench, they didnt cross offhand either. I would love to test this phenomenon under high speed video in controlled conditions. But alas this wont happen.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

The S2 is thermostable, the 961 is fully soldered, you’d hope the S2 shoots to the same poa no matter the timing or rest

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I had been hoping that was part of the answer....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I know a bloke who has a new Verney Carrion in 375 flanged. He expirienced exactly the same thing. He cannot find a load that shoots off the bench, but shooting offhand it shoots very well.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

9.3x64 wrote:I know a bloke who has a new Verney Carrion in 375 flanged. He expirienced exactly the same thing. He cannot find a load that shoots off the bench, but shooting offhand it shoots very well.
Tou probably know him GBE, works at Rebel.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

mchughcb wrote:I can honestly say on the S2 safari in 375 once i got the barrels not crossing on the bench, they didnt cross offhand either. I would love to test this phenomenon under high speed video in controlled conditions. But alas this wont happen.
Yes I think that is where the answer would be found.

Return to “Reloading”