Best set for reloading

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Olsen

Best set for reloading

Post by Olsen »

What is you opinion on RCBS vs Hornady ?
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

stokesrj

Re: Best set for reloading

Post by stokesrj »

Both are great companies, both have great customer service. I own a lot of both companies products and enjoy them all.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I also own both (not half the store like Bob :-)) and have been happy with both. RCBS kit seems a little more "refined" IMO but my Hornday dies make damn good ammo too....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I like redding.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Start by asking yourself what you intend to reload:

Do you need a heavy duty O frame for resizing .50BMG cases? ( or even just H&H cases with fat fingers)

Will you be shooting enough each weekend to warrant a Dillon progressive press permanently set for target loads?

Is a “lock and load” collect system like Hornady necessary or are you happy readjusting dies once a year when you feel the need to assemble another 50 rounds?

And most importantly, which forum sponsor has the best package deal? ;) :lol:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I have both and both work well. I would buy either brand again,but I tend to like Hornady's bullet seating die, not saying it is better just my preference.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

I have had both in the past and did often prefer the Hornady seating die. Last few years have basically switched to a combination of Redding ( esp for easy availability of AI dies in OZ) , Forster and Wilson (both seater and full length bushing die). Now tend to mix and match according to calibre I am reloading for.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Here is a good way to get started and is of good quality. The best stuff will cost a lot more not so much because of quality but as convenience. So really it depends how much do you want to spend.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93705 ... -press-kit
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/48718 ... r-trickler
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/616964/rcbs-2-die-set
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/564956/rcbs-2-die-set
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The rock chucker is hard to go past, its great value and will last a lifetime.
I got a similar cast set but it came with a tumbler and digital scales.
But I already had an RCBS scale and powder thrower, so it made more sense to get the other stuff in a package.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Whatever you learn with will probably work the best for you. It also depends on your use. If you are making F-class benchrest rounds you need to pay more attention and have more kit than what's required for 1/2 MOA hunting rounds.

Hornady, RCBS, Redding, and Forster all make quite usable stuff. I have mostly Redding, but I've found piece from other manufacturers that work as well or better. (For example, Redding's decap die is far inferior to the one from Sinclair, and, Redding doesn't even make a collet-type bullet puller - I have RCBS and it works quite well.)
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

eyeman

Post by eyeman »

It depends what you want to reload for. If for hunting, both are great for that task. If you want to reload for competition, there are better dies such as Redding and RCBS competition dies. Forester also make great competition dies.

steven.ford

Post by steven.ford »

I would thoroughly recommend the Forster press. Their dies are also very good but as stated you may find the high end Reddings better for competition. As with most things, no one company makes the best of everything required.

blaser270wbymag

Post by blaser270wbymag »

I have the Forster CoAx press and forster dies, they are great and worth the investment. Le Wilson makes great dies and equipment, used by Benchrest shooters.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I've used many of them and prefer RCBS over Hornady, BUT . . .
My favorite is the Forster dies, and especially the Micro Seating die. Most Forster seating dies have a unique spring loaded sleeve that helps center and stabilize the bullet on its way up the die. And the Micro adjustment on the Forster Seating die is very smooth and easy to set up and adjust.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

RCBS for me. Always easy to get parts for and everything seems to fit it with out go and getting special bits for it to the use special dies and what not. 99..999999% of LGS stock RCBS and replacement parts. All work the same just comes down to what’s easy to get in your area.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Reloading”