Cheap and cheerful homemade modified lee slugs.

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

SPEEDY

Cheap and cheerful homemade modified lee slugs.

Post by SPEEDY »

I was playing around with the idea of converting some trap loads and cheaper 34gm loads into slugs.
The 34gm loads avter skimming the crap make a perfect. 690 round ball.
The trap loads make a perfect 1oz lee slug, although I've modified the mold so it no longer has the key drive and is more of a traditional foster style slug.
I did this by filling the cutout for the key drive with Fahrenheit high temperature metal putty.
I do fill the back with marine silicone so the wad doesn't stick in it
I'm trying some with and without the silicone to see what a difference it makes.
But the modified slugs weigh exactly 380gn and an unmodified one weighs about 455gn so you loose a bit of weight but don't loose the slugs size and gain velocity.

Accuracy will be hard to test as I'm using a sxs coach gun and I've got no sights on it.
If it is somewhat regulated then at 50-70m I will put a rear sight on it to conform to local laws and try bag a fallow with it.
I'm also going to try both crimp pushed back down over the slug and with the shell trimmed.
But honestly the trimmed cases hold the slug extremely well and are far less messing around then un-prying a crimp and pushing it back down.

This way I can throw a few shells in the belt and if I see a buck/stag while whistling foxes then I can throw a couple of slugs in and roll em.
20180322_142905.jpg
20180322_142850.jpg
20180322_142742.jpg
20180322_142816.jpg
20180322_145647.jpg
15216934728470.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Reloading”