Temp Stabil

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Temp Stabil

Post by Corjack »

Read a comment somewhere last week. A fellow stated that IMR 4895 was just about as temp stabil as Hogdon extreme powders. Did a bit of research, and this is pretty much correct. IMR 4895, and 8208 are nearly as good in testing as Hogdon Extreme powders. 4064, and 3031 had a bit of swing, but not as bad as some Alliant powders . Found nothing on IMR 4891. Had good luck with 4831 accuracy wise. May need to test myself when it gets hotter this summer.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Re: Temp Stabil

Post by SPEEDY »

I've switched over to using 8208 powder, I still find AR2206H a bit faster and more accurate then 8208, but 8208 just seems easier to load for and more consistent.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've used IMR 8208 XBR across the match venues from the Canadian Border to the Mexican border, summer and winter and found it to be quite temp stable. I have not found IMR4895 to be temp stable, in fact I've found it to pop primers with winter developed max loads when summer temps arrive. I'm wondering if Hodgdon has packaged some ADI manufactured powders as IMR4895 from time to time. I've seen them do this with several other powders like H4227/IMR4227. The IMR4895 I have experienced the problems with was manufactured in Canada.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

How long since you had issues with the IMR 4895? Best I can understand is they are constantly making small changes in most brands and types of powder.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It was about 8 years ago.
Robert J Stokes

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

I am also using 8208 in a couple of different calibres and found it to be extremely stable and accurate. Probably doesn't have the speed of 2206H but metres accurately and is consistent.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

The great thing about ADI powder is it’s extremely temp stabil. From my understanding hodgdon rifle powder is ADI powder just re badged.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

7x57 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 pm I am also using 8208 in a couple of different calibres and found it to be extremely stable and accurate. Probably doesn't have the speed of 2206H but metres accurately and is consistent.
Thats what I've found with the powder thrower, 8208 is dead on every time, consistent every throw but AR2206H has ups and downs.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 am
7x57 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 pm I am also using 8208 in a couple of different calibres and found it to be extremely stable and accurate. Probably doesn't have the speed of 2206H but metres accurately and is consistent.
Thats what I've found with the powder thrower, 8208 is dead on every time, consistent every throw but AR2206H has ups and downs.
I've also found 8208 to meter very accurately. That is what I won a 600 yard shoot off in the national matches with was 8208 loaded on my Dillon. It will easily hold the X-ring at 600 yards if you can and dope the wind correctly.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Consistent measures of powder usually equal very small extreme spread with gives the best LR accuracy.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm The great thing about ADI powder is it’s extremely temp stabil. From my understanding hodgdon rifle powder is ADI powder just re badged.
Yes the Hodgdon Extreme Powders are manufactured by ADI, they also manufacture IMR8208XBR as well.

It's a tangled web of distributors and brands that we all are familiar with. But there are only a few manufactures which, as far as I know, are all owned by defense contractors or government defense agencies. Here are a few that I know about, or knew about as ownerships are constantly changing.

ADI manufactures extruded powders in Australia but is owned by Thales of France.

BAE systems is a defense contractor that operates the Radford Army propellant plant in Virginia.

General Dynamics is a US defense contractor who owns the IMR extruded powder plant in Canada and the St Marks ball powder plant in Florida.

Groupe SNPE is a French government owned entity that owns EURENCO who owns five powder plants, Clermont in Belgium, Vihtavuori in Finland, Bergerac and Sorgues in France, Karlskoga in Sweden. The list of powders they make are Bofors, Norma, Vihtavouori, Ramshot, and most of the Alliant Reloader brands other than Reloader 17.

Reinmetall Defense is a German company that owns 55% of Nitrochemie in Germany and Switzerland, who make powders for and is partly owned by RUAG (RWS) who owns 45%. They also make Reloader 17.

The branding of powders is equally complex and totally immune to common logic, they all source from one another.

ATK owns the Alliant brand and distribution but as far as I can tell doesn't any longer manufacture any powder. So when you hear somebody say I prefer, Hodgdon, or I prefer IMR, or I Prefer Alliant, just be ware they are talking about a sales and distribution channel, a brand, but not a manufacturer.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I find it funny that Australia was adamant that our firearms and ammunition was built and controlled by Australia.
That's the only reason we use the Austeyr instead of an M16 or M4.
Colt wouldn't licenses them to be built in Australia but Steyr Mannlicher would issue the license, so we ended up with 2nd best.
Then they sell the company to the bloody French, what do the French know about modern warfare other then the most effective and efficient means of surrender. :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Hey I went off topic again, I've got to get a counter or something. :naughty:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

stokesrj wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 am
deerhunter338mag wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm The great thing about ADI powder is it’s extremely temp stabil. From my understanding hodgdon rifle powder is ADI powder just re badged.
Yes the Hodgdon Extreme Powders are manufactured by ADI, they also manufacture IMR8208XBR as well.

It's a tangled web of distributors and brands that we all are familiar with. But there are only a few manufactures which, as far as I know, are all owned by defense contractors or government defense agencies. Here are a few that I know about, or knew about as ownerships are constantly changing.

ADI manufactures extruded powders in Australia but is owned by Thales of France.

BAE systems is a defense contractor that operates the Radford Army propellant plant in Virginia.

General Dynamics is a US defense contractor who owns the IMR extruded powder plant in Canada and the St Marks ball powder plant in Florida.

Groupe SNPE is a French government owned entity that owns EURENCO who owns five powder plants, Clermont in Belgium, Vihtavuori in Finland, Bergerac and Sorgues in France, Karlskoga in Sweden. The list of powders they make are Bofors, Norma, Vihtavouori, Ramshot, and most of the Alliant Reloader brands other than Reloader 17.

Reinmetall Defense is a German company that owns 55% of Nitrochemie in Germany and Switzerland, who make powders for and is partly owned by RUAG (RWS) who owns 45%. They also make Reloader 17.

The branding of powders is equally complex and totally immune to common logic, they all source from one another.

ATK owns the Alliant brand and distribution but as far as I can tell doesn't any longer manufacture any powder. So when you hear somebody say I prefer, Hodgdon, or I prefer IMR, or I Prefer Alliant, just be ware they are talking about a sales and distribution channel, a brand, but not a manufacturer.
That’s very interesting to know Bob, sounds a bit of a nightmare to work out who’s who. :lol: ADI Is a perfect powder for Australia as we can go from extreme cold to extreme heat all in the one weekend, so it’s great for these types of conditions. Thanks very much for the info.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I've been experimenting with Hodgdon's "Enduron" powders since their inception a few years ago. They seem to demonstrate significant temperature insensitivity (and added benefit of copper fouling eliminators). I live at 6500 ft of elevation and typically do my load development in 55-75 degree weather. I frequently hunt at 8000-11000 ft elevation and perhaps 10-40 degree weather. The credence thus far is that these Enduron powders are indeed insensitive to temperature change. There is also significant evidence in various magazines supporting this.

Enduron Powder Equivalent Pre-Existing Hodgdon Powder

IMR 4166 . . . . IMR 4064 (similar)
IMR 4451 . . . . IMR 4350 (slightly slower than IMR 4350)
IMR 4955 . . . . H-4831 (slightly slower than H 4381)
IMR 7977 . . . . H-1000 (similar)
IMR 8133 . . . . Just released - slower than 7977

Please be very careful transitioning to these powders - start with lower powder charges and slowly work your way up. For example, I saw pressure signs using an IMR 4955 load (several full grains lower than the equivalent H-4831 load).
i.e. don't just substitute the same grains of your existing H-4831 load to the IMR 4955 load test.

All in all, I really like the Enduron line, and will use it if I have the option (still get the most accurate load) . . .

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

Return to “Reloading”