Wilson Dies

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Wilson Dies

Post by Corjack »

For my 6xc I have two sizing dies. One is a Whidden. I am thinking it was not cut deep enough for the neck bushing, as it leaves about a 1/16 of an inch unsized. The Whidden 6.5 Creedmoor die I have sizes nearly too the neck shoulder junction. Leaving only a barely perceptible portion of unsized neck. I am going to run it by, and show it to John, next trip in his area.

The other is a Tubb die. It sizes the whole neck, and shoulder bump in one operation. It also sizes the snot out of the base. I have had good luck with it, but since the neck bushing has to be tight, and does not float I am concerned about concentricity.

Ordered on a recommendation of a friend a Wilson full length bushing die. Only about 60.00 shipped from Brownells . Came in today, and it is the prettiest die you ever saw. However it would not even screw into my press. Called them, and they said a few threaded incorrectly got sent out. The shipped off another to me today.

Then I ordered a Wilson micrometer seating die. Gotta now order an arbor press. Probably a K&M.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: Wilson Dies

Post by stokesrj »

I have the K&M arbor press and like it pretty well. I use it with LE Wilson dies to good effect.
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Please excuse the ignorance, but what in simple terms is an arbour press?
What's the advantage?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Basically the idea is, you have a chamber that the case sits in, then you push the bullet in with the case fully supported. You can get a force pack with dial indicator to show you the rounds that take xcessive force to seat, but my friends tell me this is almost not needed as the arbor press gives you a lot of feel when seating the bullet, and you can tell when the round has too much next tension. They also tell me that it is just as fast as seating a bullet with a regular press . I am not sure about that yet, but I am going to find out.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Very interesting. Thankyou
Will be interesting to hear what you think after useing one for a while.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Using a Wilson full length bushing die in my Forster press with my Dasher and have found it to be excellent.Looking at a K M press as well - got some Wilson dies with the 6.5x47 when I bought it and haven't got around to getting the press. Good to know that the KM press is okay. Toss up between that or a 20th Century.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I have a bit of K&M gear and like their stuff very much.
Good quality.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

The arbor press came in today. Loaded about 40 rounds with it. A bit of getting used to, and still in the refinement stages, but am kinda digging it. So far so good.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

IMG_4452.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I put together a 6.5 Creedmoor 7.5 twist Hawkhill marksman contour barrel, and blue printed action with a small firing pin bolt week and a half ago. My idea is shoot 150 Sierra Match Kings, at about 2775. Ought to be a wind bucking son of a biscuit maker. Going to the range this Saturday, and put together about 40 rounds to play with and break in. Used my Whidden die set that I had such good luck with last year. I am so used to how the LE Wilson dies work, the Whidden felt like taking a step backwards. Ordered a set of 6.5 Creedmoor Wilsons tonight. God forbid, but I must be getting as picky as stokesrj.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

It's amazing how reloading tool manufacturers still come up with new equipment we need...

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I used my Whidden dies to load a few rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, then my Wilson dies came in. Night and day difference. The sizing dies just flat do a great job. I think the hole that is machined for the bushing is cut deeper, and the bushing goes down further leaving almost nothing in the way of unsized neck. Then using the arbor press to seat bullets was something I was not sure of, but now I love it. Going to order a set in 6.5x55 next.

Return to “Reloading”