Rebel 17 Tumbler

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Rebel 17 Tumbler

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Well Santa arrived today with the new Rebel 17 tumbler. Took me about 5-10 minutes to put it together and when I get time over the weekend I’ll see how well it works.
37719798-35DF-4401-8FAF-1737CB03FE68.jpeg
97F50D86-7959-47CE-8669-4EF5573024CF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

mchughcb

Re: Rebel 17 Tumbler

Post by mchughcb »

Nice, what's the damage?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

mchughcb wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 am Nice, what's the damage?
I got a de capping die as well as a spare belt and some soapy stuff to add to it. Cost me just under $400 to my door. A mate brought a few from the US which really made life easy for me.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've been meaning to get a ball mill for making my own blackpowder.
Though they are also geat brass cleaners too.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Very nice. Couldn't be without my tumbler

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I have that exact tumbler. It's made many, many revolutions. Pro tip: Don't tighten the knobs on the drum too tight - the gasket works better if they aren't crimped down. I use a little lemi-shine and automobile wash soap and I get sparkly brass every time. Of course, sparkly brass shoots much better - more accurate, higher velocity, no case stretching, and lasts longer.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Good tip for most things, I've seen mire firearms, engines and other assorted things screwed by over tightening that its got to be a sick kind of joke.
Thats even true of taps, as in domestic water taps, thry get over tightened to the point that not even new valves can stop the leak.
Over tightening things on a dry tumbler like that is excessive in every way, its never needed.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Well I gave it, t’s first run and I’m extremely impressed. Thanks very much Ringo with the tips there much appreciate. I put some 243, 338lapimp brass in the tumbler as they really needed a good clean. I had the Rebel 17 going for about 3hrs then into the oven for about 1hr on the lowest setting so it was just warm. Once cooked dinner was served :lol:

Very impressed, not one bit of burnt powered inside the case or primer pocket. Safe to say it cleans them up very nicely.
22FE2ADA-E535-495D-81F6-F5B35E0F12FE.jpeg
A340C42B-6479-46DA-94C0-9497ACA85246.jpeg
7CF8CB8F-E325-42BD-A55B-5EBD2DBCE089.jpeg
2C6488BD-8617-4E6A-8D88-9E061163C835.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

What soap did you use?

I like using the auto wash soap because its minor wax content keeps the brass shiny. Too much lemishine also makes a mess, a teaspoon in a full tumbler is plenty.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Ringo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm What soap did you use?

I like using the auto wash soap because its minor wax content keeps the brass shiny. Too much lemishine also makes a mess, a teaspoon in a full tumbler is plenty.
I used a teaspoon of the lemishine and just a touch of morning fresh dishwashing soap. But I’ll use the car wash soap next time. My gun Smith mate gave me the heads up with the Rebel 17. He was importing them for a bit till he had a disagreement with the guy he was getting them off. There well worth the coin.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I'm using morning fresh as well. Just a big squirt and off it goes. I thought I had the lemishine but can't find it but doesn't matter. Getting that carbon out of inside the neck has meant I have no problems with the mandrel sticking or the projectiles going in, so no more messy graphite.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I also roll my brass in paper wipes to remove the excess water on the outside. I found putting in the oven around 85 degrees for about 30minutes is enough. If you put the oven on at 130+ you will find the brass will change to a reddish colour.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

mchughcb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 pm I also roll my brass in paper wipes to remove the excess water on the outside. I found putting in the oven around 85 degrees for about 30minutes is enough. If you put the oven on at 130+ you will find the brass will change to a reddish colour.
Nice and reddish :lol: I think the lowest on the oven is 80 degrees which is what I had it on.

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

I've had mine for years and it's always been great. Makes very little noise compared to the vibratory tumbler. I use the stainless media with the lemi-shine and some dawn and it always makes this look brand new inside and out, including the flash hole. That's really why its worth the investment in my opinion. The outside of the case isn't as important as the inside, and years of vibratory tumbling taught me that the inside is largely ignored with vibratory.

Another thing I actually bought with the Rebel years ago was a food dryer. Don't laugh, after the cases come out and you separate it from the media it's always disheartening to dry them and 20 minutes later be left with all kinds of water spots. Might be totally psychological but the food dryer makes the cases 100% perfect, and it just makes you feel good.

Only thing I can recommend long term is to watch the rubber seals and take care of them. This thing can and will leak- one day I found my entire reloading bench was drenched because I did not uniformly (star pattern) tighten the plate on. Nylon nuts help too, although I did switch to wingnuts recently. Just have to be extra careful the pressure on those is uniform.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Discogodfather wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 pm I've had mine for years and it's always been great. Makes very little noise compared to the vibratory tumbler. I use the stainless media with the lemi-shine and some dawn and it always makes this look brand new inside and out, including the flash hole. That's really why its worth the investment in my opinion. The outside of the case isn't as important as the inside, and years of vibratory tumbling taught me that the inside is largely ignored with vibratory.

Another thing I actually bought with the Rebel years ago was a food dryer. Don't laugh, after the cases come out and you separate it from the media it's always disheartening to dry them and 20 minutes later be left with all kinds of water spots. Might be totally psychological but the food dryer makes the cases 100% perfect, and it just makes you feel good.

Only thing I can recommend long term is to watch the rubber seals and take care of them. This thing can and will leak- one day I found my entire reloading bench was drenched because I did not uniformly (star pattern) tighten the plate on. Nylon nuts help too, although I did switch to wingnuts recently. Just have to be extra careful the pressure on those is uniform.
Was the 1st thing that came to mind was will it leak. I’ll just let it run on the floor in the shed like I did with the vibrate one I have. Well worth the money no questions about it.

Return to “Reloading”