Help with 338LM With 270gr. ELD-X?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

R8-338LM

Help with 338LM With 270gr. ELD-X?

Post by R8-338LM »

Hello,

Quite some time ago I ordered my 338LM barrel. Now after 4 months it's finally here!

The also ordered Hornady ELD-x ammo on the other hand is nowhere to be seen and Hornady will not give a delivery date...

So the Gunshop suggested to have them loaded for me. I do not reload myself, I am a total newbe to this. But after reading a lot of info I have decided on a few things.

Brass Lapua.
Powder H1000
Bullet Hornady 270gr. ELD-X
Primers cci Benchrest (Or should I go for an other primer? As this is not a magnum primer but was chosen by the gunsmith?)

Does anyone have any experience with this load? As I have to travel 600km to pick up all my gear and test a few loads, I would like to be as prepared as I can get.

Any/all info on this load is much appreciated. But What I would like to Know most of all is a good starting point for the test and what load to work up to? I will add the Hornady load ammo here:
Untitled.png
AS for COAL I read this by the moderator on the forum: "But I found with Blaser barrels 15 to 20thou will shoot great" So I will stick to that, I guess.

Anything else I have to look out for?

Looking forward to your answers!

Thanks in advance! JJ

Blaser R8 professional succes.
338LM match barrel.
IOR 4-28x50.
Terminator T4 muzzle break.
Harris bipod.
Yes I am lugging this heavy piece of a gun into the mountains... Already working out for it! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Help with 338LM With 270gr. ELD-X?

Post by deerhunter338mag »

If you can get Federal match 215 Magnum primers or Gold, I would be using them as theres a lot more spark to help burn the powder better. The primers you’re looking at are fine in the WM cals. But the laps like a bit more spark. H1000 is the same as ADI AR 2217 which is a perfect powder for that cal. I reckon once you find the right load you will have an awesome set up
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Discogodfather

Re: Help with 338LM With 270gr. ELD-X?

Post by Discogodfather »

I use Retumbo and 215's with my 250 grain and up stuff. Settled at around 93.2 grains to achieve around 2800 FPS.

I tried using CCI Benchrest initially (I use that on almost everything else I shoot) but quickly realized I was not achieving 100% prop. burnt. Retumbo and 215's worked so well on all of my 375 Cheytac stuff and it simplified my reloading process to just have to think about one primer and one powder for my ultra long range stuff.

Return to “Reloading”