8x68 Load Data

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Re: 8x68 Load Data

Post by Joe338ST »

Looking the goods!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I've been playing around with the 8x68s and 160gr TTSX's for the last couple of weeks. I think I am close to finishing. Trying to decide whether to reshoot 70.0 & 70.5 or just shooting something in between like 70.2gr's. I am ignoring the 3055fps reading as an chorno error reading/anomaly. The velocity is a little disappointing but is acceptable.
img20211218_15262882.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

That 70 grain load looks the goods to me!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Not much to choose between the 70 and 70.5gr loads precision wise. 3100fps and accuracy like that will get the job done! I'm getting more mv with my N550 loads but I think I'll play a bit more next year to see if I can find an accurate load that is not as hot as the one I have now.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

The reason behind testing 70.2 gr's is that after making adjustments to QuickLoad to match my actual average velocity I noticed the barrel timing on QuickLoad was very close to a known barrel timing node as per Chris Long's Optimal Barrel Timing theory. I use a barrel length of 24.75" as measured from bolt face to muzzle.

If the 160gr TTSX were readily available I wouldn't hesitate but since they're not to be found anywhere that I know of I'm hesitant. Also I have been down this rabbit hole before, sometimes it works out and sometimes you find yourself chasing your tail. This one looks very promising.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I do not pretend to be an expert at tuning loads to get the max out of them. I find it hard to see why you would anticipate much improvlemnt over the 70gr load with 70.2 gr. Equally, given what you see at 70.5 I would not expect to see any deterioration either. My usual approach is if I've thought about it I might as well give it a try because I will chunter on over it until I do..... but yeah, Barnes bullets are a bit scarce here too. Luckily, I bought 300 of those before everything went pear-shaped.

Good luck! You have inspired me to take another crack at mine next spring. I'm getting consistent sub moa 4 and 5 shot groups with mine just now and that will account for any deer or moose I'm liekly to take a shot at. But the load that shoots the best is also the oe that is a solid max load and I'd rather put a bit less stress on the rifle...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Reloading”