Sonic Case Cleaner

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

MM
Meister der jagd

Sonic Case Cleaner

Post by MM »

I have an old vibrating case tumbler with corn cob media and it is a pita so I am thinking of getting one of the sonic cleaners. Anyone out there use one and how well does it work? Thanks.
Matt

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: Sonic Case Cleaner

Post by sav338 »

I’ve got a sonic cleaner, It does the job but I’m not totally happy with it . It leave residue around the the primer hole. I’ve got a wet tumbler with ss media much better.

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

Like Sav338 I have a Sonic Cleaner but also find that my Stainless wet tumbler does a better job, there is a bit more work involved because your having to separate the media from the shells. There are Media separators available if your processing large quantities

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I have both a sonic cleaner and a Lyman vibro tumbler.
I form,decap,trim and then put everything in the sonic cleaner,after a 25 minute cycle I take them out,rinse them with tap water and then put them into the tumbler with corncob media for additional ten to twenty minutes. They get out dry,shiny new and very clean.
Jordan

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Sonic Cleaners are ok as I have one also. There around about the same work with a wet tumbler as well when drying them in the oven on 80 degrees for about half to an hour no more. The wet tumblers with SS pins is by far a much better way to clean your brass. Get yourself a Rebel 17 as there well worth the money as it brings the brass up like new out of the box never been fired. Sonic Cleaners are great with a little bit of morning fresh dish washing detergent warm water, then chuck the cooks rings and jewellery in there and she will think you bought her new stuff. :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

What is the residue around the primer hole you are referencing? Is the hole plugged up? how do you remove it? I am not a high volume reloader so just trying to figure out work involved. Can SS pins be used in a vibro tumbler?
Not sure it’s residue but would be left over burnt powder that it hasn’t quite removed. If you use the sonic cleaner, Lymam make a nice soap cleaning liquid that does an ok job. But you still need to give them a wash with fresh water once complete. I don’t think ss pins would work that great in a vibration tumbler as they need water. But who knows it might but I doubt it.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

[quote=MM post_id=183006 time=1531233688 user_id=4496]
What is the residue around the primer hole you are referencing? Is the hole plugged up?

It the black carbon from the primer.
If there is a bit , I’ll throw it back in the sonic but if there is only a couple here and there then I brush it out with a nylon brush.
With the tumbler I made I don’t get any.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

MM wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 am What is the residue around the primer hole you are referencing? Is the hole plugged up? how do you remove it? I am not a high volume reloader so just trying to figure out work involved. Can SS pins be used in a vibro tumbler?
Not sure it’s residue but would be left over burnt powder that it hasn’t quite removed. If you use the sonic cleaner, Lymam make a nice soap cleaning liquid that does an ok job. But you still need to give them a wash with fresh water once complete. I don’t think ss pins would work that great in a vibration tumbler as they need water. But who knows it might but I doubt it.
Just left over burnt power. Lyman’s make a sonic cleaner liquid that’s works fine. You just leave it on the longest setting and some times you might need to give them a second go. Just wash them all out with fresh wTer before the drying process. I don’t really think vibrating tumblers work to well with SS pins. They really need water for them to work.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve also had sonic and vibrator tumblers but have been cleaning with stainless media and rotory tumbler for about ten years now. Other methods work but the stainless media is far superior. Don’t waste your time, get a rotary tumbler and stainless kit. You will be glad you did.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Reloading”