Handloading 300wsm

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

GreekCanadian

Handloading 300wsm

Post by GreekCanadian »

Hello all!

I would like to share my experience while handloading for the 300wsm .

First I had some dies and brass I had from a Winchester model 70 from a few years back .

So when I tried resizing a few shells and clambering them they would get stuck ...
No big deal... figured the chamber on my model 70 was slightly bigger then the one on the Blaser
( in the back of my head I thought I’m full length sizing why wouldn’t be working ?)

So I swallowed my tears and bought a box of high end factory loads . Worked great. Then had brass that was formed in my chamber that would work . Wrong ! When I sized the brass it would extract very easily even when I cycled a live round . But when I shot my first round of handloads I would get a very sticky extraction !

After speaking to a Blaser pro here in Montreal.
He told me the fact that so much powder burns in such a small case it will expand too much to reload.

Basically even once fired brass will become too soft.

Anyone here experience the same I’m shooting a R93

stokesrj

Re: Handloading 300wsm

Post by stokesrj »

I don’t have any experience with the 300 WSM in the Blaser platform. However, it makes no sense to me that it would behave any different than other cartridges that operate at the same pressure specifications. So I would say that what your dealer told you is highly suspect.

The reality is most likely that your sizing the case insufficiently. To know for sure, you need the proper tools to measure your sized case and compare it to the SAAMI specification. I’ve seen several situations in which sizing dies don’t size properly when set up to the manufacturers instructions. Some times they must be adjusted so that the press cams over hard to achieve sufficient shoulder push back.
Robert J Stokes

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Since you are having sticky extraction I might suspect the dies. They may be cut incorrectly.

I've never had any trouble with the 300 WSM in this manner. I suppose it is possible you have a bunch of work hardened brass that doesn't size properly. Do you notice any unusual force required to size the cases?
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Check your dies. Make sure they are labelled FL for full length an not NS..... failing that then check the case length. If all that is Ok check your bullet seating. You might not have seated your projis deep enough. Something simple is not right...Dies should be correct to specs. Also make sure you are using the correct shell holder.....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

bavarian_bud

Post by bavarian_bud »

Hallo,

wich reloading dies are you use? I shoot and reload 300 wsm since year's first in Mauser M03 (about 800 shots), than in R8 (1406shots), an now in R8 semi ( 352 shots ;-) ), and had never any problem's with the cases. I'd tested norma, winchester and barnes brass. My favorite brass is norma (i like the big case capacity and the uniformity). I have best results with RCBS gold medal match full length dies (before with the standard dies and hornady dies).
i hope u get fixed it.

regards

bud

Return to “Reloading”