.300Wby what to do?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

dchamp
Meister der jagd

.300Wby what to do?

Post by dchamp »

I did a ladder test today with a .300Wby and 130gr TTSX bullets. I took the load from the Barnes #4 Reloading Manual and applied it to QuickLoad. The results were not what I expected. The note at the bottom of the QuickLoad page I found to be very enlightening.

All of the brass, from lowest to highest charges looks good. I measured the cases just above the belt and at both the shoulder and neck. I then compared those measurements to resized brass I have in waiting. The only difference was at the shoulder with a variance of .002"-.003". I am asking for your thoughts based on what you see. Your thoughts and advice are welcome. The speed measurements are from a Lab Radar.
IMG_0077 2.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

SPEEDY

Re: .300Wby what to do?

Post by SPEEDY »

Reloaded 25 was the powder for the 300wby, do a ladder test with it and you will get the super high velocity without the high pressures.

But I am surprised that less then a grain of powder produced such an increase in velocity from such a big case.
I would work up a load until an increase in powder didnt increase velocity to work out maximum, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I my self wouldn`t trust quick load...
Bullet/powder manufacturers have already done the testing.. so I think it`s pretty safe to use their information. From my experience,most powder and bullet manufacturers have their data a little bit conservative/on the safe side considering max loads.

For example RS50 powder gives +1 m/s of velocity per every degree Celsius the temperature is increased.
My loads for the 9,3x62 are at the maximum from their manual. The load was developed at about 10 degrees Celsius,this particular load is still good even on 40 degrees Celsius - no pressure signs,no loss of accuracy no nothing.
Lapua mega 285 grains over 59 grains of RS50 ,RWS primers. @ 10 degrees C the velocity is 710 m/s. At 20,it`s 720,at ~30 it`s 730 m/s.

Best regards,
Jordan

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've found most reloading manuals are a little more lawyer friendly they they are accurate.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

If you check enough manuals you will find most are very conservative but occasionally you will also find one that will pop primers at their listed max loads. The Barnes manual for the bullet you are using is one that in my 30-06 I hit max pressure before reaching their max load using Big Game powder. However it is very apparent with excessively flattened and cratered primers and one shot brass that will no longer hold a primer. Yours doesn’t sound like that situation but the higher than expected velocity is cause for caution.
The Barnes Bullets are very hard to engrave and hit the rifling hard, which can easily spike pressures, but if you are not seeing overly flattened primers and your primer pockets are still tight then you are more than likely ok.
A word of caution though, the way you are measuring case head expansion is incorrect. You need to measure the same case before and after firing and .001” accuracy is insufficient, you need a micrometer for this job, not a caliper.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've always found micrometers much more accurate then calipers, my micrometers will go down to .002mm all my calipers only go to .02mm

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I agree Speedy RL25 is a good powder, I used it in the 300Wby w/210gr Bergers. But this was more of an exercise about checking the book ,with QL, with reality.

JP to each their own, I like and find QL helpful. Is it perfect, No of course not, but I think it's a useful tool. The difference in starting load and max load velocity between Barnes and QL is only 32fps. It's my understanding that while QL has done some of its own testing of components (powder) it gets most of it's information from manufacturers. But I think it's useful especially when using combinations that are not listed in books or elseware.

I find it interesting that QL indicated that with a 10% powder lot to lot burn rate variation at 85.5gr's of powder you could expect a velocity of around 3725fps. My measured velocity with 85.5gr's was 3742fps, only a 17fps difference.

Bob, I took a picture of the last round and then deprimed it. The tension was good and all of the primers looked good. I agree on the measuring method but :think: since I hadn't measured pryer :think: I guess I just didn't expect such high velocities.
IMG_0079.JPG
I wish I good have shot this ladder at 200 or 300 yds but 100yds was all that was available at the time.
I am thinking about dropping down to 82.6-83.4grs and work in .2gr increments to see how well that performs. The velocity spread between 82.5-83.5 is only 18fps different and the cluster is reasonable. The difference between 3800fps and 3600fps in drop at 700yds is only around 2.5".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's how I work a load out, work up in .5gn until the velocity gain drops down to only 10-15fps and then work back to the best accuracy.
You always hit a flat spot in velocity gains when you start reaching peak pressure, then it normally jumps up again at really dangerous pressures.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Looking at your primer you are not over pressure. If it were me I would load 10 rounds at 86.5 and see how they do for accuracy and consistent velocity. If you can get a micrometer then measure head expansion but I’m fairly confident it won’t be even .0005”
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I'll try the 10 rounds at 86.5gr's first. As a side note, one odd thing that surprise me was that the barrel never really got hot only warm and it cooled down faster than I expected with that much powder and speed going through it. I did allow about 2-3 minutes in between shots though. I guess with the temp at only 78f and a nice little breeze nearly straight on made all the difference. This will have to wait as I am going out of state tomorrow for a few weeks.

Return to “Reloading”