Trailboss Facts Vs. Myths

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

MM
Meister der jagd

Trailboss Facts Vs. Myths

Post by MM »

I need to start load development with trailboss for various cartridges and I was hoping I could clear up some questions I have. I have been reading up on it and I see conflicting information that is out on the internet.
1. Only use new cases, but then I have read only use cases that have been fired in the chamber you are loading for. What is correct? Can you use it in multiple rifles chambered the same?
2. Full length resize or not ?
3. Is it better to use a heavy for caliber bullet or go light for caliber? Should I use the same bullet as my full power load?
I am only looking to shoot small game at a max distance of 50 yards. Rabbits, grouse etc. around camp without spooking everything.

mchughcb

Re: Trailboss Facts Vs. Myths

Post by mchughcb »

I use any case
Full length resize
I have tried heavy and light projectiles

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Unfortunately the internet is full of people willing to give advice without the experience to do so with competency. There are situations in which Trailboss will set back the shoulder which is why some say use dedicated cases. These are rare, really low power loadings in which pressure is so low that the case neck is not expanded sufficiently to grip the chamber wall and seal gases from then impinging the shoulder. If you are following the loading procedures recommended by the manufacturer you will not see this. So I'm with Chuck load any case full length resize and use any bullet that is cheap. For your purposes it really doesn't matter. Heavy for caliber cast bullets are what most people find enjoyable. I stick with jacketed bullets but of any weight that suits my fancy (usually excess stock). You aren't going to get velocities high enough to cause the bullet to perform anyway, they are basically solids. But usually Hodgdon only provides load data for one bullet weight for each caliber. For instance the 308 only lists the 150 grain bullet. Go to the Hodgdon data center and check for your caliber.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I never did any of that, I just load them like I do any other powder.
There are only two true myths about trailhead powder.

1) Never compress it, if you crush the grains it's no longer trail boss and can increase pressures to dangerous levels.
2) you can fill a case till it's touching the bullet (but not compressed) and you will never over load the case.

I'm actually going to use it soon for making some shot shells for my 44mg, just for a little fun.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thomasr1969

Post by thomasr1969 »

Speedy I just ordered a Lever Rifle in .500 S&W and I would be interested to see how you go making shot shells for you 44mag. I would like to make some also, so any info would really be appreciated.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I will do a write up, I actually want to make some longer cases from a 303brit case about 1.5" long Vs the 44mag 1.28" length.
But I'm going to start of with the standard case, the idea is going to run 2 ways, the 1st way is 3-5gn of trsil boss, cardboard wad cut with case then whatever 9# shot I can fit in and another thin card on the top fixed in place with a drip of PVA glue.
The second way, and it's an idea of my own crazy making is to do it the same but just put a drop of glue strait on the shot itself.
I'm not sure how the last way will work but what the he'll I've nothing to loose but a few fingers. :lol:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Hey Speedy you can always buy the empty plastic shot capsules sold by CCI....

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've thought about that but I've been told or rather heard they aren't real good.

blaser f3

Post by blaser f3 »

I played with Trailboss years ago and had some success with it in a 243 .
I remember that it performed best with near full loads , the starting loads were all over the place .
Also projectile choice was very critical , it always is no matter what loads your loading , be it seemed even more pronounced with Trailboss , maybe the slow speed has something to do with that .

Ken

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:22 pm I've thought about that but I've been told or rather heard they aren't real good.
Minute of rattlesnake is about what to expect I believe

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm hoping for 10-15m bunny accuracy eith the bigger shells and payload of #9's.
I've been turning my shotguns into rifles so I thought it would be fun to turn a rifle into a shotgun.

I'm not holding my breath , but I might even try some paper patching.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

SPEEDY wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 am I'm hoping for 10-15m bunny accuracy eith the bigger shells and payload of #9's.
I've been turning my shotguns into rifles so I thought it would be fun to turn a rifle into a shotgun.

I'm not holding my breath , but I might even try some paper patching.
Interesting concept indeed Speedy.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've got my slugs and RB sorted out so now it's time to fool around with something different.

Return to “Reloading”