Urgent: 6.5x55AI dies/die set?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

johning

Urgent: 6.5x55AI dies/die set?

Post by johning »

Hi,

Does anyone have any good advice on were to find a 6.5x55AI die set in the united states?
- If you happen to have a set of dies, or only a full length sizing die; I will be glad to buy it.

Anyone with experience in loading the AI version of the old Swede?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Urgent: 6.5x55AI dies/die set?

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Not sure on your laws in Sweden if they can be imported to you from the US, Whidden dies make any cal you need.
https://www.whiddengunworks.com/custom-reloading-dies/
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Both RCBS and Redding make 6.5X55 Ackley Improved dies but they are non stocking custom order only. The largest distributor of custom dies in the US is Huntington. You should probably call them as I have read that although they list these as custom order only, some have found them to be in stock when calling them. Since there are several versions of the 6.5X55 Ackley Improved you need to make sure which reamer your smith is using. The most common is the 40 degree Jourdan (Clymer).
https://www.huntingtons.com/store/produ ... 907&page=1
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Redding will also make you a set. The Whidden are nice, and you can get them as a bushing type die as well. You can call John Whidden and see if he exports.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

blaser f3

Post by blaser f3 »

How much performance increase do you get from the Swede when you Ackley Improve it ?

Ken

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

blaser f3 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm How much performance increase do you get from the Swede when you Ackley Improve it ?

Ken
In most cases 10% more powder. In my 338lap ackley improved for an example. Using a 250gr projectile I can load it up to 107gr of 2225 and 300gr projectile 99gr of 2225. In a standard 338 lap the average load for a 250gr projectile is around 95gr and less for a 300gr. Most Ackley improved cases are very much the same. It’s like adding a supercharger to your gun. However I have seen some cals that have been improved with bugger all improvement. Only problem which isn’t too bad is fire forming your cases. Your looking at about 2 shots to get the case just right. Whidden dies now make a die set that you use water and a hammer to blow the shoulder out. Works really well as it puts it down to one shot. Just need to give your press a good wipe down and a bit of wd40 so it doesn’t rust up. I found its extremely important to Anneal your improved cases for longer life as well.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Reloading”