Neck Tension Progression

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Vaughan

Re: Neck Tension Progression

Post by Vaughan »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:38 pm In my experiences, the neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, sorting cases by weight, sorting bullets by weight and the rest that goes along with it are good for fine tuning a bench rest gun that already shoots .200" groups at 100 yards and improving that to .189" groups and not much else. It absolutely won't help a gun and load combination that is only shooting 1 MOA or even 1/2 MOA. So for hunting it is a waste of time. But I still do it anyway some times.
I shoot 1/2 moa groups with some reproducibility and I do a little dance, so I'm happy to read this..... :shifty: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Ringo

Re: Neck Tension Progression

Post by Ringo »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:38 pm In my experiences, the neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, sorting cases by weight, sorting bullets by weight and the rest that goes along with it are good for fine tuning a bench rest gun that already shoots .200" groups at 100 yards and improving that to .189" groups and not much else. It absolutely won't help a gun and load combination that is only shooting 1 MOA or even 1/2 MOA. So for hunting it is a waste of time. But I still do it anyway some times.
I agree. Still, I pay attention to these things under the (probably mistaken) assumption that anything I can eliminate for the load gives me more room for error.

The reality is that people hunted with 2 MOA (or worse) rifles for decades and still had meat.

That knowledge doesn't stop me from still seeking better and better - even for my hunting loads. Pretty much, all of my load development is for hunting - even if I develop loads for calibers I will likely never take into the field!
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Return to “Reloading”