Harrell's Powder Measures

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

slugslinger

Harrell's Powder Measures

Post by slugslinger »

I'm trying to decided between two Harrell's Powder Measures, and would appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with both. My focus on reloading is mostly load development for accuracy for rifles of many diverse chamberings (using an RCBS ChargeMaster), and then using a powder measure for higher volume runs of cartridges once I determine the right load. The cartridges I load range from 223 to 375 H&H.
I also looked at the Neil Jones, but can't seem to justify the (roughly double) price - please feel free to rebut that belief.

Harrell's Classic Powder Measure:
http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/produ ... er-measure

Harrell's Premium Powder Measure:
http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/produ ... er-measure

Neil Jones Powder Measure:
http://www.neiljones.com/html/powder_measure.html

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

stokesrj

Re: Harrell's Powder Measures

Post by stokesrj »

I've owned two of the measures you listed and kept the Neil Jones but it was only slightly better than the Harrell's Premium Culver type. I would have been completely happy with the Harrells if I had never tried the Jones. I don't think you could ever tell the difference in terms of accuracy or consistency of the resulting loaded rounds. The differences are subtle with the Neil Jones using precision lapped brass and the Harells using roller bearings. Some of my benchrest friends urged me to try the Neil Jones claiming it had more repeatable settings which is very important to them. They set up at the match and load to the conditions with no scale to verify charges, they just load to clicks. But I never saw any difference this way between them, the Neil Jones is a tad smoother and consistent feeling, but only ever so slightly. There was not such a price difference back when I bought mine.
Robert J Stokes

thomasr1969

Post by thomasr1969 »

I have the premium and I really like it. Beautifully made and very consistent.

shoots100

Post by shoots100 »

Holy smokes batman, those are some pricey powder drops.
I have friends that use both brands, but I never asked how much they cost.
They all shoot good with the rounds they load and have been using them for years without issue, so I would say that price would be the deciding factor.

SJC

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Thank you very much for the feedback . . . sounds like the Premium is a good solution.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

Surgeon1

Post by Surgeon1 »

I have one and love it

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have the premium. Had it for years. Like it for throwing loads for 300 Blackout and ball powder loads. Works great. Hoped the new Winchester stabile was accurate enough for my match rifles, but so far it has not proven to be as good as my H4350 loads. I use two RCBS chargemasters setting side by side for my high volume match ammo with stick powder.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Return to “Reloading”