Primer seating

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Vaughan

Primer seating

Post by Vaughan »

Any of you folk have a favourite primer seating tool? I've always used a basic hand-help tool. Current one is a cheapo RCBS but after 10+ years it's getting wonky and just generally causing random grief. I see Sinclairs makes a niffty little hand-held but apart from the cost, it seems to a one primer at a time job, which would be too fussy. The simple solution is just buy a new cheap one but the old RCBS was never brilliant, especially with SR primers, so I thought I would see which tools people preferred....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Primer seating

Post by 9.3x64 »

I use a K&M seating tool and like it very much.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

RCBS seating tool had it for years.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

At the moment I am using the RCBS Universal primer (square trays) and it is performing well including small primers. It has trays and inserts for large or small. Prior to this I used the Lee Universal for years until it started to become problematic. I still have a Forster primer that hasn't been used so can't comment on that yet.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 am I use a K&M seating tool and like it very much.
Me too :D . I had a cheapy many years ago (maybe RCBS) but it was long gone many years ago. No other experience.

One at a time is no issue for me as I seldom load more than 20/30 rounds at a time.

I also like to break the reloading process down rather than blitz all the steps in one session which helps to make speed less important. It was a different story with the Dillon in my handgun days :lol: which are also long gone.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I use the The RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. It works smoothly with repeatable pressure. Extended use isn't tiring because its bench mounted with a long lever. I have multiple feed tubes, each loaded with various primers.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/45759 ... gJWaPD_BwE

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

I have also used the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool for years with no problems.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've used a Lee one for years as it's what my LGS had, got another one that's a bit better quality but the Lee ones like a bit of an old mate now.
I had it 20 odd years.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

6.5x55

Post by 6.5x55 »

I've been using the 21st Century tool http://www.xxicsi.com/stainless-steel-priming-tool.html.

Its a little on the expensive side, but I am very happy with it.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

6.5x55 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:02 pm I've been using the 21st Century tool http://www.xxicsi.com/stainless-steel-priming-tool.html.

Watching the video it looks extremely well made. I'm just wondering does it only hold one primer at a time that finger fed, or do they come with an auto feeder for it.

6.5x55

Post by 6.5x55 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:37 pm
6.5x55 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:02 pm I've been using the 21st Century tool http://www.xxicsi.com/stainless-steel-priming-tool.html.

Watching the video it looks extremely well made. I'm just wondering does it only hold one primer at a time that finger fed, or do they come with an auto feeder for it.
I'm not sure whether there is an auto feeder but wouldn't be surprised if there was. I feed them one at a time and am still able to seat primers with pretty good efficiency. I like the feedback you feel when seating the primer as you can easily start to tell when the primer pockets are becoming loose.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

6.5x55 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am

I'm not sure whether there is an auto feeder but wouldn't be surprised if there was. I feed them one at a time and am still able to seat primers with pretty good efficiency. I like the feedback you feel when seating the primer as you can easily start to tell when the primer pockets are becoming loose.
I sussed them out some more and there a fine set up and, but would drive me nuts single feeding 50 to 100 cases at a time. The company looks like they make top quality gear.

6.5x55

Post by 6.5x55 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:06 am
6.5x55 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am

I sussed them out some more and there a fine set up and, but would drive me nuts single feeding 50 to 100 cases at a time. The company looks like they make top quality gear.
Looks like this one is no longer available but may have been better suited to you.

http://www.xxicsi.com/auto-feed-ss-prim ... -tray.html

I load up to 50 rounds no problem with mine. I just lay out the primers ahead of time on a primer flip tray like this one http://www.gunsngear.com.au/mtm-primer-flip-tray and find that I get through seating the primers pretty efficiently. I used to use a hornady primer hand tool but find this one much better for me and importantly get a uniform seating depth every time.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Reloading”