Barnes in .375 H&H

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

BJones99

Barnes in .375 H&H

Post by BJones99 »

Anyone shooting Barnes through their R8 in.375 H&H? I load Barnes for all my other rifles and have had excellent results. Just bought an R8 and my first loads were not good. Used the powder that the Barnes manual stated had the best results in their tests. I’m going to try a couple of other powders but thought I might shorten the process if anyone has any personal experience they would like to share. Shooting 300 gr TSX FB. Thanks in advance.
BJones

R8 Professional Success. - 375 H&H

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: Barnes in .375 H&H

Post by pagosawingnut »

About the only experience with Barnes I have are with the 235 gr TSX. One hole accuracy at 100 yards out of my R8
Then again, I borrowed some ammo from theChamp last June and shot a cape buffalo with the Barnes 300 gr TSX. I believe the load data was on the ammo box so theChamp might be able to help!
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Wish I could be of more help but these were loaded by Safari Arms LTD out of Seaford NY. From what I understand they had changed hands since these were loaded and rumors were that they weren't quite the same after the new owner took over. These were loaded to 2575 FPS and off the bench were an easy 3/4" at 100 yards. Imagine more practice and they would have been 1/2". Everything I shot with them was one shot kills. The ones I missed not so much... :doh: Nice warthog running around there with a nick across the throat. Shooting too fast can sometimes bite you.

He had a dope card with the ammo but it didn't give any load info. Ringo here loads the 375 with a variety of ammo. 10-1 he's got some loads for the 375 shooting the 300 Barnes. He loaded a variety of loads for me to try sometime and see which one groups the best. Haven't been able to get any range time but maybe sooner than later.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Ive only loaded for the 250gr TTSX. It shoots really good with 69 grains of RL15 in my son’s R8. Its a mild load. Never checked its velocity but I would guess it around 2600fps.

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I shoot the 270 TSX Flat Base Barnes in the 375 H&H. No complaints at all.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Surgeon1

Post by Surgeon1 »

Ringo:
Would you share some of your data on load work up and your end point?

I'm currently working up loads for the 300 TSX and the 250 TTSX and I will share those when
I have it done!
Doc

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Here's my load record from the 270 TSX in 375 H&H.
375 H&H 270 TSX (Analysis).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

BJones99 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:46 am Anyone shooting Barnes through their R8 in.375 H&H? I load Barnes for all my other rifles and have had excellent results. Just bought an R8 and my first loads were not good. Used the powder that the Barnes manual stated had the best results in their tests. I’m going to try a couple of other powders but thought I might shorten the process if anyone has any personal experience they would like to share. Shooting 300 gr TSX FB. Thanks in advance.
I was doing some load development in the .375H&H yesterday and tried the load ebrown stated, which happens to be Barnes staring load. Here are the results, I will try and duplicate this soon I hope.
IMG_1589.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Return to “Reloading”