Suppresser Loads 8x57

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Suppresser Loads 8x57

Post by Corjack »

With the positive experience I had last year with 300 Blackout 125 Ballistic tips at 2400 FPS on deer. This year I am going to use the 8X57 17 inch barrel with ether 180 BT or 170 SSTs. Which ever is the most accurate. Going to use IMR 3031 and try to get an accurate load right at 2400 FPS. Ranges will be a max of 110 yards. Don't want them going too fast as don't like to much blow uppy.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Corjack
Administrator

Re: Suppresser Loads 8x57

Post by Corjack »

Well the project went well today. Settled on 44.1 grains IMR 3031. 2396 FPS and fine accuracy. SDs exceptable. OAL 3.16 with 180 grain Nosler BT. Was using Norma brass and discovered I had two completely different lots. One head stamp was JS and the other had jS on it. The first one had a noticeable amount of extra caoacity and loads ran 40 FPS slower from them.

I have loaded up a few of the 170 SSTs to try tomorrow with 44.5 IMR3031 and an OAL of 3.1 inches. The few SSTs I loaded today printed the same spot as the 180 BTs.

I was too lazy to put up new targets, so the target picture the shots circled with the pen is the 8x57 group. That is a .75 inch green dot.

Kinda forgot how easy the 8x57 is to load for. Was a nice afternoon of tinkering.
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Looks like it worked. Dumped a big doe in her tracks at about 80 yards. Then four more came out and I sit another. Second was a high lung shot looks like. It went about 70 yards and piled up. Was getting dark, and I got them hanging, bt best I can tell, they are dead, and I saw no excessive meat loss. Will look at the damage better in the morning when I skin and bone them out.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

That's awesome and congrats as it's always good when things like this work. Any photos.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Reloading”