Double grouping and Blasers

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

MM
Meister der jagd

Re: Double grouping and Blasers

Post by MM »

I had groups like that in a couple k95 barrels solved it by not chasing the lands and shortening OAL to what was listed in the reloading manual in my case Nosler. Adjusted load from there to reduce group size. I am still experimenting with bench technique with the rifle as it is not bench friendly especially in the heavier kickers.
Matt

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

warpig602 wrote: Im going to move this barrel to my other R93 stock and see if anything changes. Can at least rule out the bedding system as a possibility. Ive had promising results when trying the 180 NAB. I may explore that again. IF all else fails I'll start over with H4831SC. Id just hate throw away the investment made into the TTSX development. On the bright side, Im happy to be complaining about sub moa groups.

That might be a good idea.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

warpig602

Post by warpig602 »

MM wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:59 pm I had groups like that in a couple k95 barrels solved it by not chasing the lands and shortening OAL to what was listed in the reloading manual in my case Nosler. Adjusted load from there to reduce group size. I am still experimenting with bench technique with the rifle as it is not bench friendly especially in the heavier kickers.
Matt
Ive reduced OAL from 2.890 to 2.860 and various lengths in between. 2.890 is .050 off the lands. I cant seat any deeper than 2.860 due to case volume.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Those Ballistic-X images above look eerily familiar. I was having a lot of trouble with my R93 8x68S bbl last summer, different bullets and powders, but including TTSX. First round out was always an inch and a half or so off the group, always in the same place, roughly....

This probably wont help you but the problem was mostly solved with the TTSX by reducing OAL - by a bit over 1mm - even though I was well short of the lands to begin with. I say "mostly solved" because the jerk behind the trigger is still a work in progress. The groups were down to around 1 moa so I stopped worrying and took it hunting.

I have personally found reloading monolithics to be either easy and fantastic or fussy as manure. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground for me. Keep at it, you will get it to shoot 👍🏼
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

warpig602

Post by warpig602 »

That's what few members on another board seem to think. The groups shown above which your referenced were my shortend oal length groups at 2.860 vs 2.875/2.890 which I've had the best results with.

Couple issues with 2.860- I'm out space in the case, these are compressed laods and I was starting to get erratic seating depths . The other issue is was I started getting pressure signs. Even if I started with a minimum charge weight at that depth or deeper, it would still be compressed. Must be the norma brass because I know of other people getting 64-65gr in their cases with no probelm.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The last picture looks like your pushing too hard into the butt expecting recoil, the others might actually be similar, I'd guess your changing position a bit mid group and that's causing the two points of impact.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

warpig602

Post by warpig602 »

Guess I cant rule that out. Jsut seems odd that in between groups I switch to the exact same gun setup in 243 and can shoot 4-5 groups with no double grouping or flyers. You would think Id have the same issue with that rifle as well.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

warpig602 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 pm Guess I cant rule that out. Jsut seems odd that in between groups I switch to the exact same gun setup in 243 and can shoot 4-5 groups with no double grouping or flyers. You would think Id have the same issue with that rifle as well.
I was doing that when I had trouble with the 8x68, I'd shoot the 6br just to remind myself I could shoot. Then I thought that was dumb, it had no recoil, so shot my 9.3x74 instead. Didn't really help either because I was so damn mad with the 8x68 I was squeezing the life out of it.....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

warpig602

Post by warpig602 »

Took the advice of a member of another forum and seated them longer despite Barnes recommendations:

First group at OAL 2.915

Went hope and loaded up 5 more to see if it would repeat, of course it was the 5th shot that opened it up:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

That's looking pretty good! #5 is probably the shooter and you will take a lot of deer with a load like that.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Reloading”