Ultrasonic Cleaner

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Corjack »

Last few years I have been taking my match brass, decapping, running them for ten minutes in SS pin tumbler, Dawn detergent and a 9mm case of Lemishine, then annealing , then sizing. I use homemade lanolin sizing lube. Stuff works great, but it is a bit tenacious, and I have not found anything that removed it fast enough and in the quantities I need to remove it from. Plus I do not want to SS tumble anymore than I need to, in able to avoid messing up my case necks. One of my buddies used to do his brass for an hour, and after using the brass about five times, the brass beating around in the tumbler would peen the end of the neck in. Even annealing and using a neck expander would not iron it out. Causing inconsistency in neck tensions. My ten minutes before annealing and after sizing to remove lube has worked perfectly, however if I could do away with the second ten minutes it sure would be nice.

Today I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. It was 92.00 after taxes. Set it up and dumped 140 just sized 6.5x47 cases in it. It would have held 200. I then filled it with cold tap water, a squirt of Dawn and a 9mm case full of Lemi Shine. Turned on the heater and ran it for an 8 minute cycle. Water was still coolish, but brass seemed to be lube free. Ran it another cycle, and water was now lukewarm, and brass were definitely lube free. Ran it one more cycle and water was now pretty warm, lightly gray cloudy. Rinsed brass in fresh water and dumped them in the dryer. I am going to guess that 200 brass ran two cycles in warm tap water will be entirly adequate.

Pretty happy with my purchase, and it is a good bit easier than doing the SS pin tumble, and ten minutes less beating my brass around. I will continue the first ten minutes SS pin tumbling, because it gets pretty dirty during a PRS match, and I like it to look fairly shiny .
E002F1DD-1C11-481D-A4D4-18AB69014363.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by SPEEDY »

I use a 12lt untrasonic cleaner, just not for brass.
I put in toasted white oak and age whiskey in it. 😂🍻
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Reloading”