Lead to Mono Bullets

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

MM
Meister der jagd

Lead to Mono Bullets

Post by MM »

Hypothetical (at this point) question. Currently I am using 3 different cartridges for big game hunting:
1. 30-06 165 Nosler Partition 2900FPS
2. 300 Weatherby Magnum 180 Nosler Partition 3200FPS
3. 9.3x74R 286 Nosler partition 2350FPS
If we woke up tomorrow and there was a total lead bullet ban, what bullet and weight would you go to, to duplicate the lead bullet performance?

Vaughan

Re: Lead to Mono Bullets

Post by Vaughan »

I don't know about "duplicate" but I've switched from 286gr Woodleighs to 250gr monos in my 9.3x74R running at 740m/s, seem to work fine.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Ant

Post by Ant »

I use the 165 gr Hornady GMX out of my 300 win mag at avg velocity of 3230 fps. When I did my comparison for the 300 win mag, and looking at quite a few ballistic charts, the charts seemed to consistently show that this load delivered slightly higher ft/pounds than all of the 180 gr win mag loads that I could find at distances out to 500 yards. While not a duplicate, my guess is that you would find a similar pattern (e.g., lower weight equaled higher speed and marginally higher ft/pounds at ranges out to 500 yards). After 500, the charts tended to show a switch as the heavier bullet seemed to start winning the comparison. So, out to 500 yards, I think you have a pretty close comparison between the 180 gr Nosler and the 165 gr GMX. Also, you have to be careful with the mono's since they will not fully expand once they slow beyond a certain point. Meaning, I don't think you will get a good duplicate after around 500 yards since the performance of the GMX (and other monos) might degrade on you.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

In general terms, mono's perform better when going down one increment in weight which would be 150 grain for 30-06, 165 or 168 for 300 Win Mag and 250 for 9.3. I personally go even lighter to keep the impact velocity as high as possible so I use 130 grain for both 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and 250 for the 9.3. All will shoot through both shoulders of an elk. The downside is performance at longer ranges suffers due to lack of expansion.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I agree with Robert, dropping the weight and increasing speed is the way to go with mono's. I have a load for my .300Wby the shoots the 130gr TTSX to around 3.700 fps. With a 300yd zero I have a 7 inch +/- drop at 400yd and it's still calculates doing 2554fps. My son and I have had good success with 250gr TTSX's in our 9.3x62 rifles.

I was having a hard time getting Barnes Bullets and have started playing with Hammer Bullets lately. So far I like them but have not shot anything other than paper with them.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

In my opinion, this string is a classic example of the power of this forum when properly used. A person articulates a question (a great one in this case by the way), and then forum members respond with both general commentary and specific advice. Anyone reading the string then benefits from the question and the answers provided. Kudos to everyone who make this forum so useful and successful! . . . :clap:

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The whole point of monolithics when they came out was to shoot lighter bullets for flatter shots with the sane retained weight as heavier lead bullets.
But then people started thinking more is more and we're shooting heavier ones that gave them a bad reputation.
So makers found ways, to correct this, but it's, still not the same.
I shoot 150gn TTSX in my 30/06 because I couldn't get 130's at the time but they do a good job, especially on the bigger animals.
Depending on what your shooting 130's out of a, 300 are simply devastating. Having seen what a, screening one can do out of a 300wby on pigs and deer they more then impressed me.
Ut you could easily get by using the 150gn in both the 3/06 and 300wby.
As to the 9 3,i only ever used the 286gn nosler partition too so I can't really judge.
I tried a few different monolithics in the 308win and 30/06 but liked the TTSX the most, it just seems to give the same performance on a wide range of game from big to smaller.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

MM wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:18 am Hypothetical (at this point) question. Currently I am using 3 different cartridges for big game hunting:
1. 30-06 165 Nosler Partition 2900FPS
2. 300 Weatherby Magnum 180 Nosler Partition 3200FPS
3. 9.3x74R 286 Nosler partition 2350FPS
If we woke up tomorrow and there was a total lead bullet ban, what bullet and weight would you go to, to duplicate the lead bullet performance?
I love your bullet choices.

I’ve often wondered the same thing…..so I’m watching with interest.

Rod

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I've been thinking about this thread a bit over the last few days. I've used a number of 250gr monos in my two 9.3s - Barnes, Lapua and Peregrine mostly. All have worked well but for me these are close range cals, usually under 100m. I've only recovered the one bullet I can remember, a Lapua Naturalis, it mushroomed well and did everything it should have done. I've used 250s because that's what I can buy. I have wondered if something around 220gr might be better out around 150m but at my shooting ranges I don't think it would make much difference 9 times out of 10....

I would add that I have generally moved from targeting the heart-lung area to trying to break shoulders when shooting moose the the 9.3s. Meat loss is not so bad with monos and it puts the animals on the ground quicker.... as always, this depends a bit on the angle and speed of the animal.. the dog always finds them so I just try to do what I think is best in that moment.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Slugslinger, I couldn’t agree more this is my goto place for real world information.
Rod, I would be happy hunting with partitions the rest of my life but that might not happen because of legal constraints or perhaps a specialized hunting situation.
The 130 grain loads are intriguing to me but I notice that factory ammo loaded with mono bullets do not offer the lighter weights and generally are 180 grn and up in the 30 cals. Long range accuracy is one thing but long range expansion is another. I will never be able to shoot enough game legally to gather enough experience or statistics to scientifically prove how one bullet/load performs vs. another so that is why I ask here. Many times I talk to a hunter who has had one good or bad experience with a bullet and it shapes their opinion forever. I try to avoid that. Thanks all.
Matt

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Have about 500 gmx bullets snd used them in aoudad and hogs in a 300 win. Long barrel and 3400 fps chronied with s 28 inch barrel. The shock is amazing.

Return to “Reloading”