Reloading Tools you cannot live without...

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Reloading Tools you cannot live without...

Post by 9.3x64 »

What dies have you purchased over the years that have actually make your reloading life much easier.
I personally have three...

1/ Redding de-capping dies, large and small. These are great for just popping the primers before tumbling so the primer pockets come out perfectly clean.

2/ RCBS bullet pulling die, with collets from 22 to 500. I still have the old kinetic puller on hand, but the beauty of the RCBS collet puller is that I can pull bullets quietly. Previously when using my kinetic puller the banging noise would set off every dog in the neighbourhood, and I would be abused by the “lady couple” next door. With the RCBS puller I can use it anytime.

3/ RCBS 22 Hornet Competition seating die. I was first recommended this die by Dom on this forum. It’s a game changer when trying to seat those tiny little Hornet projectiles. Basically it has a little window that you drop the projectiles into, and the die aligns them perfectly without having to touch them.

So, what dies have you guys found you cannot live without?

Allan
Last edited by 9.3x64 on Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Dies you cannot live without...

Post by 9.3x64 »

I should probably mention also that Hornady Sure lock die lock rings are also a die related product, that has made my life easier. Brilliant product, especially with the Hornady lock ring spanner.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I have a collet bullet pulling die as well, Hornady I think, that I'm very happy with. I need to be careful not to squeeze too hard sometimes but it has been very handy when I have retired/put into storage a few cals. Handy for cleaning up those leftover rounds during load development/bullet testing.

Otherwise, I've bought a few Whidden die sets I'm very happy with. Nothing really different than other good quality dies, other than they come with a bump guage, they just seem to be really reproducible/repeatable... whatever, you will know what I mean....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm thinking that RCBS 22 Hornet Competition seating die. I don't have one but from the sounds of it I could definitely use one.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:58 am I'm thinking that RCBS 22 Hornet Competition seating die. I don't have one but from the sounds of it I could definitely use one.
They are brilliant. :clap:

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

I like all the Whidden Gunworks dies and tools….. the multi-purpose tool that accepts bushings for OACL measurements and there shoulder bump gauges are fantastic. There dies are neck dies that accepts bushings as well with a great fit and finish.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I just received a set of these yesterday. Geez they are bloody handy, and cheap.
I load for three different rifles useing the same set of 7x64 Brenneke dies (two R8’s and a BD14). Adjusting the sizing die for three different rifles each time is a right pain in the arse. The problem is, even the tiniest bit of movement of the sizing die adjusts headspace more than intended.
Now I just set the sizing die at a fixed position and adjust headspace to the one thousandth of an inch with these shims. No guessing, they are dead accurate and work a treat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dom

Re: Reloading Tools you cannot live without...

Post by Dom »

Ya that RCBS Hornet Comp Die is worth its weight for sure.

I'll have to add, my Forster Co-Ax press I love, it's just so solid and tight.

Couple other add ons that I wouldn't want to live without, the RCBS Combo 1500 powder dispenser, and I just love those Lee Factory Crimp Dies. Whether they work or not is debateable, however, I like the added security of adding a light crimp to prevent any 'possible' bullet movement. When I've spent so much time getting them as precise as I can, I don't want them moving, or even have second thoughts of bullets moving as they are rolling around in my pocket or in this jeep, or on that jet, lol.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Wilson Expanding Mandrel Sizing Die (plus appropriate mandrels per caliber)
It's name is a bit misleading - it is not truly a "sizing" die because all it does is expand the neck to a specified neck diameter/tension. It does not size the case in any other way. After some years of experimenting, I find that neck tension has significant effect on reloading.
Even if you don't particularly want to play with neck tension, this die is good for standardizing the necks on new brass that may have been deformed during shipping.

p.s. Other companies sell similar product and some of the have an amazing array of sizing mandrels per caliber - for those reloaders that really want to "play with" neck tension.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023478435

https://21stcenturyinnovation.com/buy-o ... er-mandrel

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Prep centre , RCBS charge master ,custom expander dies.
Jordan

Bigskyjon

Post by Bigskyjon »

Redding de-capping dies, 17 hornet bushing neck sizing die.

winM12

Post by winM12 »

The Hornady bullet seating depth gauge is an item that I find indispensable. No more guessing at the max OAL of a cartridge.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Le Wilson bullet seating dies were one of the best things I ever purchased.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

roris

Post by roris »

RCBS Precision mic cartridge headspace tool. So easy and fast to check that sizing die is correctly adjusted.

Inline6

Post by Inline6 »

AMP annealer
Giraud Power Trimmer
If you are throwing volumes of powder a Prometheus powder scale

Return to “Reloading”