Primers

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Vaughan

Primers

Post by Vaughan »

For obvious reasons, I guess, LR primers for reloading have vanished from the shelves in these parts. I was just wondering if this was a universal issue? Regardless, if you can find 'em, I suggest you buy 'em......

I'm not a high volume user so I have enough for 3 or 4 years of practice ammo and have LR mag primers for hunting ammo for the foreseeable - still, I wish I had thought to buy some more a year ago.....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rifletuner

Re: Primers

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, its a global issue driven by the USA shortages. Once that happened, it was only a mater of time before it flows on to the rest of the world. I have been through this multiple times in the past, but it this time its the biggest, longest running component shortage I have ever seen.

A lot of people in Australia have been out of primers for months.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I remember we hae big problems 10 years or so ago and I've maintained stocks since then. Didn't keep enough though....😖😖
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Pistol primers and pistol powder are like rocking horse manure around here.

There is a heap of other stuff that is scarce too.

Rod

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

In Denmark its impossible to get primers and cobber bullets, even lead is forbidden from next year :think:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Olsen wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:00 am In Denmark its impossible to get primers and cobber bullets, even lead is forbidden from next year :think:
Why are they banning copper/monolithic bullets? Or is it just that they are difficult to source?

Completely unrelated... I'm trying to get my head clear on the new restrictions on leadshot... not allowed to even have it in your posession 100m from water. Reminds me about the old joke from David Foster Wallace about 2 young fish who meet an older fish swimming towards them. As they pass, the older fish nods and says “Mornin’ boys, how’s the water?” Some time later, one of the young fish stops swimming, turns to his friend and asks “What the hell is water?”
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Vaughan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:21 am
Olsen wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:00 am In Denmark its impossible to get primers and cobber bullets, even lead is forbidden from next year :think:
Why are they banning copper/monolithic bullets? Or is it just that they are difficult to source?

Completely unrelated... I'm trying to get my head clear on the new restrictions on leadshot... not allowed to even have it in your posession 100m from water. Reminds me about the old joke from David Foster Wallace about 2 young fish who meet an older fish swimming towards them. As they pass, the older fish nods and says “Mornin’ boys, how’s the water?” Some time later, one of the young fish stops swimming, turns to his friend and asks “What the hell is water?”
They dont ban cobber bullets, they shops just cant get them :think:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I can give some insight about the primer supply since we use several million a year at work building Berger Ammunition. One of the contributing factors aggravating the supply is the allocation going to the Ukraine. There was already a shortage but this put the supply in even further jeopardy. There is good news on the horizon with two new sources coming on line in the next few years which will put several billion additional primers into the supply chain. But don't expect any relief before 2024.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thanks Bob, that was the information I was looking for. If I stick with what I know works, I'll be good until 2026 and still have enough to practice plenty. I hope the war in Ukraine won't still be going on by then....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

PRO-R8

Post by PRO-R8 »

Thought I was buying too many primers in 2018.

NOT!

Return to “Reloading”