Loading For The 375H&H

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

HunterAU
Meister der jagd

Loading For The 375H&H

Post by HunterAU »

Do any of you guys load for the 375H&H? If so what do you use?
Shoot First, measure them later.
:violence-snipersmiley:

Bushman

Re: Loading For The 375H&H

Post by Bushman »

Hi.
I loaded 40 rounds for my trip to Namibia :

Remington cases
300 grains Barnes TSX
CCI 250 Magnum Primers
71 grains Reloader 15
C.O.L. - 3,57"

This works very good in my rifle - very small groups.
With friedly regards

Bushman

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

77gn of AR2206H behind a 220gn Taipan FP at around 3000fps, dynamite on Pigs and Deer and very accurate, I also load it down to 2300fps with AR2217 as a mild recoiling round for medium game.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Grumulkin

Post by Grumulkin »

RL-15 is what I use with 270 and 300 grain bullets over Federal GM215M primers.

I like Hornady 300 gr. FMJ round nosed bullets and their 300 gr. BT Spire Points. Both those bullets with the same load of RL-15 shoot to the same place for me at 100 yards. It's nice to have FMJs available if you want to shoot something small without a lot of hide damage; they would, of course, also be good for something very big you needed a lot of penetration for.

btm_54

Post by btm_54 »

Regards,
Bob.

HunterAU
Meister der jagd

Post by HunterAU »

That's great mate..!!

505Ed

Post by 505Ed »

I've loaded mostly 260 accubonds and 270 swift a-frames

I use Varget in the H&H

270 Swifts
federal 215
69.5 grn of Varget= little bitty groups :D
The big ones, look big! (Jack O'connor)

HunterAU
Meister der jagd

Post by HunterAU »

505Ed wrote:I've loaded mostly 260 accubonds and 270 swift a-frames

I use Varget in the H&H

270 Swifts
federal 215
69.5 grn of Varget= little bitty groups :D
I struggle with little bitty groups with my 375..! I think its because of the pill i am using,..! I might try others just to see if i can get the tight groups..!

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

When I had a 375H&H and a couple 376 Steyrs, the Hornady 270 grain roundnose was the most accurate and easy bullet to get to shoot with about any powder I tried. Also a very reasonably priced bullet as well.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

i have 300grs hornady rn bullets - and they worked fine so far (20mm for 5shots)... i hope to try the woodleighs soon...
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

DocHolyrood

Post by DocHolyrood »

Before last Saturday, I had never fired a magnum rifle because I never had the need in Kansas. I bought a 375 H&H from Craig a while back, mostly because I've always liked the idea of the 375 round. Of course, I was a little nervous about shooting such a round because I'm a big scaredy cat.

I happen to have 12 pounds of A-5744, which is designed for reduced loads in large cases. I originally bought the powder for use in large black powder cases. I thought I would try to replicate the recoil of a 30-06 180gr round by using Sierra 200 grain flat nose bullets in my 375 H&H. Obviously the ballistics will be quite different due to the flat nose, but I thought the round could be good in the forest for deer or even elk.

I contacted Accurate Arms for load recommendations and they suggested:
Bullet Weight 200 grains:
Low load: 42.0 grains (2275 to 2375 fps)
Midrange load: 51.0 grains (2650 to 2750 fps)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEVELOP A HOT LOAD WITH THIS POWDER!

I loaded 10 rounds each of 42gr, 44gr, 47gr, and 50grs in Norma cases and standard large rifle primers. The 42 grain round was extremely mild to shoot, but I could feel the recoil creep up with each step up in charge. The 47 and 50 grain loads had substantially more recoil than the 42 grain loads, but really didn't feel too bad. You might get tired of shooting the 50 grain loads after a while, but I doubt it.

I then shot one factory round loaded with 300 gr bullets and the rifle nearly jumped out of my hands, partially because I was holding it loosely as I put the crosshairs on target and closed my eyes. Big difference in recoil between the factory round and the 50gr load.

Accuracy won't be the greatest due to the bullet design and the fact that you can't seat the bullet out far enough to evan come close to the lands. However, accuracy is good enough for 200 yards shots at deer, which is all the bullet is designed for any way.
Last edited by DocHolyrood on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

DocHolyrood wrote:Before last Saturday, I had never fired a magnum rifle because I never had the need in Kansas. I bought a 375 H&H from Craig a while back, mostly because I've always liked the idea of the 375 round. Of course, I was a little nervous about shooting such a round because I'm a big scaredy cat.

I happen to have 12 pounds of A-5744, which is designed for reduced loads in large cases. I originally bought the powder for use in large black powder cases. I thought I would try to replicate the recoil of a 30-06 180gr round by using Sierra 200 grain flat nose bullets in my 375 H&H. Obviously the ballistics will be quite different due to the flat nose, but I thought the round could be good in the forest for deer or even elk.

I contacted Accurate Arms for load recommendations and they suggested:
Bullet Weight 200 grains:
Low load: 42.0 grains (2275 to 2375 fps)
Midrange load: 51.0 grains (2650 to 2750 fps)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEVELOP A HOT LOAD WITH THIS POWDER!

I loaded 10 rounds each of 42gr, 44gr, 47gr, and 50grs in Norma cases and standard large rifle primers. The 42 grain round was extremely mild to shoot, but I could feel the recoil creep up with each step up in charge. The 47 and 50 grain loads had substantially more recoil than the 42 grain loads, but really didn't feel too bad. You might get tired of shooting the 50 grain loads after a while, but I doubt it.

I then shot one factory round loaded with 300 gr bullets and the rifle nearly jumped out of my hands, partially because I was holding it loosely as I put the crosshairs on target and closed my eyes. Big difference in recoil between the factory round and the 50gr load.

Accuracy looked good enough for 200 yards shots at deer, which is all the bullet is designed for any way, especially since you can't seat the bullet out far enough to come even close to the lands.
This is a good report!

Dom

Post by Dom »

Good thread, here's a couple loads I use, both good hunting loads. The A-Frames are tackdrivers. Approach at own risk, they Chrono'd in the ~2500 - 2550 fps range, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Rifle: Steyr Safari, .375 H&H Mag
Scope: Docter Optik 1.5-6x42

Case: R-P
Primer: Rem 9 1/2 M
Powder: H 4350, 81gr
Bullet: Barnes TSX 270gr
COL off Ogive: 3.085

Case: R-P
Primer: Rem 9 1/2 M
Powder: H4350, 80gr
Bullet: Swift A-Frame, 300gr
COL off Ogive: 3.120

One planet, one caliber - 375 H&H Magnum
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have a poopload of Hornady 225 grain spire points designed for the 376 Steyr, some where between 500 and a 1000, they might get a little closer too the lands. Might make a good reduced recoil, deer hunting combo.

Grumulkin

Post by Grumulkin »

Corjack wrote:When I had a 375H&H and a couple 376 Steyrs, the Hornady 270 grain roundnose was the most accurate and easy bullet to get to shoot with about any powder I tried. Also a very reasonably priced bullet as well.
ImageFunny thing; I get the best accuracy with Hornady round nosed FMJ bullets.

In fact it was a 300 gr. Hornady FMJ RN out of my R 93 with which this African Wildcat met its end. It's bleached skull is now sitting in my office.

Return to “Reloading”