7x57R versus 7x65R

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

mchughcb

Re: 7x57R versus 7x65R

Post by mchughcb »

Completely pointless as I bought a 30-06 and use 220gr RNSP in the K95.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

I really like my K95 in 7x65R, I'm shooting a 162 a-max at 2750fps. Seeing as you want to shoot sub 150gr monolithics I'd take the 7x57R on offer. The 65R will have a greater advantage when shooting heavier projectiles, use a slightly faster powder in the 57R and you won't be far behind the 65R, certainly not enough for the animals to notice.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Agreed.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I’d regard the x57R as a roe and fallow cartridge with rusa and reds stretching its capabilities. Using it on anything larger is an affectation.
The Bell references have to be contextualised the same as culling Roos with rimfires - of you’re of a group notorious for long pockets and short arms and have time to pick your shots it’s possible, not ideal. One advantage of the 7x57 or 6,5x54MS on ele (recently discussed elsewhere) is the likelihood that there is no stunning effect if you hit the skull and not pierce the cranium, resulting in an ele that allows you to get it right

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 am I’d regard the x57R as a roe and fallow cartridge with rusa and reds stretching its capabilities. Using it on anything larger is an affectation.
The Bell references have to be contextualised the same as culling Roos with rimfires - of you’re of a group notorious for long pockets and short arms and have time to pick your shots it’s possible, not ideal. One advantage of the 7x57 or 6,5x54MS on ele (recently discussed elsewhere) is the likelihood that there is no stunning effect if you hit the skull and not pierce the cranium, resulting in an ele that allows you to get it right
We have reds starting to poke into our hunting grounds, although not clearly established yet given we didn't see them at our roe feeding station this winter. I suspect the large number of moose in the area (and getting a snack for the feeder) may have discouraged them given that the two species do not seem to care for each other. I had considered the 57R a suitable cal for reds and also the occasional bonus late season moose calf. Given the predominance of the 6.5 Swede on moose hunting teams it should manage with a bit of care and common sense. Well, message has gone ot the seller, so we will see. It might already be gone given the price it was offered at.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Yes but everyone knows that a 6.5mm kills better then a 7mm, its a well established fact. :dance:
If they were Sambar legal I'd have a Swede over a 308win. :handgestures-thumbup:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I hope you do get it. It will be a joy to use.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

In my 7x57 Brno ZKK I could get 160gr going 2700 pretty easily, can't see why you couldn't get a K95 7x57R to 2600 or 2650 with a 160gr. That will easily take care of a Red. If you don't want to go that heavy then a 140gr accubond or similar will work well.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

For a good used 7x57 K95 at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate.

7x57 will be plenty for Roe, and will easily tip over reds, provided suitable projectiles are used for each. Factory ammo is a bit anaemic, but European factory ammo is better than US made stuff and certainly wont bounce off.

If buying new, the 7x57 makes no sense, unless in a Stutzen or possibly a 52cm bbl, not because it is inadequate, but simply because of decreasing popularity as compared to the 7x65.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

secondtry wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:25 pm For a good used 7x57 K95 at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate.

7x57 will be plenty for Roe, and will easily tip over reds, provided suitable projectiles are used for each. Factory ammo is a bit anaemic, but European factory ammo is better than US made stuff and certainly wont bounce off.

If buying new, the 7x57 makes no sense, unless in a Stutzen or possibly a 52cm bbl, not because it is inadequate, but simply because of decreasing popularity as compared to the 7x65.
To be honest, the 57R wasn't on my radar at all so I've had to do a bit of reading, and listening to you folks, it will clearly do the job I had in mind. And at the price, I could get a 2nd bbl and still come out ahead. I'm in discussions with the owner now so we will see what he answers to a few questions.....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan, in my opinion you can't go wrong and you will love the calibre. And in the K95 it will be a sweet round. I remember when I first bought a 7x57R in the BBF thinking its what is it good for. Since then I've spent years hunting with it and really enjoy that as a 250m rifle it lobs those 175gr Woodleigh PP or Interlocks with great precision and great penetration.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Good luck, I hope negotiations go well.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Excessexpress

Post by Excessexpress »

There isn’t much in it. I have both and the 65 has more punch, but not so much more that it’s a deal breaker not to have it.

In many ways, with break actions the 57 has lower pressure, so should have fewer problems into the longer term.

The 65 is definitely the way forward in terms of ammunition selection, if variety is what you want. Since you’re a reloader, there’s a myriad of choices, though interestingly the drillings and combos I’ve seen have all been set up for the lighter 140ish gr projectiles.

The choice is yours, neither is a bad one.

Return to “Reloading”