Reloads vs. RWS

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Dom

Reloads vs. RWS

Post by Dom »

I shoot a lot of Hornet, mainly during DJV Competitions, but also a lot of practice. For years my standard load was 10.5gr IMR4198 pushing the 46gr Winchester HP bullet. It could match RWS but I never got it to outshoot the RWS Jagdmatch 46gr bullets, the expensive ones in the Blue/Silver box. My rifle is an Anschutz Model 1432 Stainless Bull Barrel, topped with a Vari X III 4-14x50, illuminated dot.

After getting this Hornet barrel for the R93, I finally got a scope mounted, a Vari X II 4-12x40. Nothing fancy, I didn't want to break the bank. Now the good part. I know many of you, as well as myself, have spent countless hours on the range searching for the best load combination, if nothing more than personal satisfaction. But it sure is a good feeling when a plan comes together. Last year I tested a very good load with Lil Gun pushing the 35gr V-max bullets in the Anschutz, and reloaded a couple hundred up. They will also match or often better the RWS Factory load, the load which reloads are judged by :lol:

I chambered the loads that I had for the Anschutz and they were no problem in the R93, so since I had to zero a scope on an '06 barrel anyway, I also took the R93 Hornet to run a few of those reloads thru it. This is the first time I've shot the reloads thru the R93 Hornet, and they are smokin good :)

And, after a measurement and adjustment to COL off the Ogive, I've got some ready for use in my Bockdrilling, just waiting for a fox to make his debut. That should be any day, but fox are kinda funny, sometimes you see them all the time and then you sit for weeks without much action. Time will tell, but I'm getting anxious for that day. Here's what those v-max's post out of an R93, I have finally beat RWS Match, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Re: Reloads vs. RWS

Post by retrieverman »

I think you have found the magic combination! That is some great shooting!!!Image

BLASERNUT

Post by BLASERNUT »

Nice load I may have to try that in an old Kimber Hornet I have..

I have been wanting a hornet barrel for the 93 for a couple years now, however, Blaser in their infinite wisdom has chosen not to offer it stateside... :(

Dom

Post by Dom »

BLASERNUT wrote:Nice load I may have to try that in an old Kimber Hornet I have..

I have been wanting a hornet barrel for the 93 for a couple years now, however, Blaser in their infinite wisdom has chosen not to offer it stateside... :(
I uh, lucked out and found a used one 'cause they don't make them any more :evil: The Hornet is my favorite rifle to shoot and practice with. Low cost, low recoil, then just a 1 minute barrel/head swap and off for bear, deer, or fox with the 'same' rifle! Can't beat that with a stick :lol:
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Hi Dom,

They are sensational groups at 100m? I tried for 20 years and couldn't get the hornet to shoot like that, not even at 50m. Have you tried the berger 30gr projectiles yet?

cheers chuck.

Dom

Post by Dom »

No Chuck, I have not tried any Berger bullets, but would imagine they'd shoot good for the price of them (On Midway they go for US $225- a thousand). For years I could get 1000 ea Win 46gr HP for US $100, now they're $150 a thousand, so I tried the v-max, which are also about $150 a thousand when on sale, and they outshoot the Win 46gr. I have only shot vmax with Lil Gun, and have no need to try any other combinations :D

For competion shoots we shoot three targets at 100 meters and a running boar at 50 meters. And none of the targets are "from the bench" - Roe is standing supported, fox is prone unsupported, and boar is freehand. Shooting from the bench I do for load testing, if I really want to see how "good" of a shot I am, shoot 5 shots freehand :lol: That brings me back down to earth in a hurry!

Skyhawk

Post by Skyhawk »

Good shooting Dom! Are you going to start using the R93 for DJV?

WH,
Morgan

Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey Morgan, yes, I'm going to start out with it, if my score suffers because of the lighter weight of the R93 then I'll go back to the Anschutz, WH Dom.

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

Hi Dom,

Like you I also prefer RWS brass over other brass and use it for my 243 and 30-06 reloads.

Any idea where this is made?

Thank You

Dom

Post by Dom »

skeetshot wrote:Hi Dom,

Like you I also prefer RWS brass over other brass and use it for my 243 and 30-06 reloads.

Any idea where this is made?

Thank You
Oh ya Skeetshot, good stuff, made in the Fatherland, part of Dynamit Nobel Corp, more good info at link.

http://www.rws-munition.de/en/

RWS stands for the Rheinisch-Westfälischen Sprengstoff factories, which became part of Dynamit Nobel in 1931.

Where are the RWS special bullets manufactured?
For decades all RWS special bullets have been manufactured at the factory of RUAG Ammotec in Fürth, Germany.

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Nice shooting........ :)

You got the right tings put together ;)
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

mchughcb wrote:Hi Dom,

They are sensational groups at 100m? I tried for 20 years and couldn't get the hornet to shoot like that, not even at 50m. Have you tried the berger 30gr projectiles yet?

cheers chuck.
Give me your gun mate I will get grouping for you. I have never seen a 22 hornet not group well. What make of rifle is it?
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Reloading”