Greetings from PA

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

notenoughtime
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Greetings from PA

Post by notenoughtime »

I have been lurking for a while. I have a R93 but thinking about getting a R8. I know there are pros and cons to everything. Is it worthwhile to even consider? Presently, I have two calibers for the R93: (1) 22-250, (2) 9.3x62.

Vaughan

Re: Greetings from PA

Post by Vaughan »

Welcome! A couple of great calibers you have there. Worth changing over to an R8? Unless you want to change calibers, why? If I was starting out today, I'd buy R8s but have never seen any reason to change my R93s. They shoot brilliantly, handle brilliantly... :confusion-shrug: Plenty of folks here will disagree :laughing-rolling:
/Vaughan

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome Aboard!
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Glad you joined up. I have an R8, but I agree with Vaughan.

Donald
Pro Staff

Post by Donald »

Hello and welcome. My vote is keep the R93, but also buy an R8 at the appropriate time. You might consider a K95. Great for deer camp in the Allegheny National Forest.

notenoughtime

Post by notenoughtime »

Here is my dilemma... get R8 or find barrels for my Mauser M03? I have 375HH and had hoped to get other long action/magnum calibers for the M03. It might be easier to go R8 at this point. I do like the great handling of the R93. I'll keep the r93 like you guys have suggested. Thanks for the comments...

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

John0313

Post by John0313 »

If your R93 kit is everything you perceivably need (and you are satisfied with it); I think I’d stay put there.

I wouldn’t want to be an R93 owner on the hunt for a LH magnum bolt, a specific barrel configuration/caliber, or a .22 kit for an R93 etc. - you will likely be looking a while. I went through a similar challenge - it took me several years to luck into a 6.5x55 bbl for my Sauer 200, and I gave up on finding a 9.3x62 barrel for that rifle (for good reason) and went Blaser.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard. :text-welcomeconfetti: Unless your are after different cals that are hard to come by. Or you want to keep up with the Smith's. Just stick with the R93. If you were new to Blaser, then I would suggest going with the R8 as that's the most practical thing to do. Or just buy one and have both. :dance:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Welcome aboard. Buy both and you'll be happy. Designate each one for certain calibers and leave it at that. Then buy 2 or 3 more and be happier.... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

notenoughtime

Post by notenoughtime »

Sounds good. Maybe buy the R8 for Magnum Calibers. It's not a need, but want issue at this point, :) . Maybe I concentrate first on getting a synthetic stock for my R93. What I have now is too nice to be banging around in the woods.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

notenoughtime wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 am
Sounds good. Maybe buy the R8 for Magnum Calibers. It's not a need, but want issue at this point, :) . Maybe I concentrate first on getting a synthetic stock for my R93. What I have now is too nice to be banging around in the woods.
IMO that is a very logical way to look at it. I prefer the R8 for the 375 H&H, 300 Wby/300 Win and the R93 for 243 Win, 270 Win. The 270 Wby which is one of my favorites works well in either one. Only one that doesn't match is the 204 Ruger in the R8 because I wasn't about to have a 204 Ruger made for the R93 and was able to pick up the barrel and bolt head for a very good price. Adding a carbon fiber stock to the R8 204 Ruger did help the weight situation. The R93's light weight, nimbleness and being shorter than the R8 is just hard to give up.

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”