New member of forum- long time Blaser fan

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Packas

New member of forum- long time Blaser fan

Post by Packas »

chalky wrote:
Packas wrote:
chalky wrote:Welcome to the forum Pat. Are you from Ireland or were you just living here ? You won't go wrong with that set up but some of the guys here will probably steer you towards a 30-06 as it'll take care of everything in Canada. Best of luck with whatever you buy and lots of info on here.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Thanks Chalky. I moved from Ireland to Canada back in 2011. Been pistol shooting and only now getting around to getting back into deer hunting. So looking forward to it [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Well if you have to move there doesn't seem to be a better place to move to for outdoor sportsmen. I shoot around Wicklow myself. At least you should have the blaser before the hunting season starts, only problem is it gives you too much time to look at their website and order more stuff :lol: :lol:
Again welcome to the site plenty of knowledgeable guys here for any questions you'll have.

Spent many years Stalking Sika in Wicklow with my Sako. Need to find similar style hunting in Canada. I'm not a fan of sitting in a stand !!

chalky
Meister der jagd

Re: New member of forum- long time Blaser fan

Post by chalky »

Best of luck finding the hunting, is it hard to get permission or is it mostly pay per hunt ?

Packas

Post by Packas »

chalky wrote:Best of luck finding the hunting, is it hard to get permission or is it mostly pay per hunt ?

Ask me again in a few months. It's a mix of private land and public ("crown") land. You pick the area (wildlife management unit) you want to hunt in and then apply for tags (one tag per animal shot).
There's also syndicates/hunt clubs like I was part of back in Wicklow. You pay a yearly membership fee and that gets you access to more land. I'll probably do that for the first season until I figure it out and make more contacts.
What I don't like is that I have to drive north to hunt with a rifle and rifle season is only two weeks. Around home I can use bow and shotgun. I miss the Irish law and the long deer season to be honest. It's well regulated here but really to maximize hunting season you need to be multi disciplined and not just rifle. So that's why I'm considering a 308 as I reckon I'll be on the range more with it than in the field. It's a lot of money to spend on a gun for 2 week season. Don't get me wrong the opportunities here are great but it takes work.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Sounds like it'll take a bit of getting used to alright. But the different types of big game over there like moose and sheep on top of the deer would definitely keep me interested. Although a two week rifle season is a bit on the short side compared to our 6 months. But then we can't use bows, crossbows, pistols etc just rifles so depends what you want I suppose. But best of luck with it I'll be looking for your posts

Packas

Post by Packas »

chalky wrote:Sounds like it'll take a bit of getting used to alright. But the different types of big game over there like moose and sheep on top of the deer would definitely keep me interested. Although a two week rifle season is a bit on the short side compared to our 6 months. But then we can't use bows, crossbows, pistols etc just rifles so depends what you want I suppose. But best of luck with it I'll be looking for your posts

Will certainly keep you updated. We can't use pistols/revolvers for hunting in Canada. You can only use them for target shooting. If you've good reason to carry one in the wild you can apply for a permit though. Don't personally know anyone who has one for that- even in bear country !

chalky
Meister der jagd

Re: RE: Re: New member of forum- long time Blaser fan

Post by chalky »

Packas wrote:
chalky wrote:Sounds like it'll take a bit of getting used to alright. But the different types of big game over there like moose and sheep on top of the deer would definitely keep me interested. Although a two week rifle season is a bit on the short side compared to our 6 months. But then we can't use bows, crossbows, pistols etc just rifles so depends what you want I suppose. But best of luck with it I'll be looking for your posts

Will certainly keep you updated. We can't use pistols/revolvers for hunting in Canada. You can only use them for target shooting. If you've good reason to carry one in the wild you can apply for a permit though. Don't personally know anyone who has one for that- even in bear country !
I thought being in bear country would be justification enough :lol: :lol:

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”