A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Re: new member

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Dave. :handgestures-thumbup:

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Welcome and good to have you here Dave I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the NZ hunt. A trip there is top of my bucket list.
Chalky

desullivan

Post by desullivan »

Welcome Dave!!! Hunting New Zealand on my dream list

daveg

Post by daveg »

New Zealand is a wonderful place, full of like minded people & as you can see the landscape is supremely beautiful. Fortunately for us Ozzies it's just a 3 hr plane trip & you can hunt without a guide if you so choose. Dave

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

daveg wrote:New Zealand is a wonderful place, full of like minded people & as you can see the landscape is supremely beautiful. Fortunately for us Ozzies it's just a 3 hr plane trip & you can hunt without a guide if you so choose. Dave
Welcome Dave,
Good to see you are making the most of our wilderness. What block were you in back in 2005. It sure is magic down there when the rain stops. I was very lucky in 2007 and managed to get a 47 inch 14 point Wap bull in the Pitt valley. It went 351 DS. I've only managed to get back in there once since and that was a disaster of a trip weather wise.
Have you done much in the way of Tahr hunting?
Looking forward to seeing a few more of your photos.

Tim

daveg

Post by daveg »

Howdy Tim, we had the George River in 2005. Hey, that's a great head, only people that have hunted it could understand how hard you have to work for them, a big congrats! It was a cold, wet trip & the climb up to Harrison Saddle was tough!! did I say tough!! Late april so the rut had finished. We saw about 15 animals in total, 1 small wapiti style bull, & a few reds. Nothing was taken.Had my first Tahr trip in 1986 in the Havelock, I was only 26 years old, by myself & had way too much gear. I did see a few Tahr, very high & 2 chamois, nothing taken. Went back to Fox in 1988 & got snowed in for 17 days fly camping. Back again in 2000 to Fox with a mate. He shot a nice 13 5/8" & I took 2 around 11.5". Not sure I want to chase Tahr again.... the hills are getting steeper I'm sure!! This trip is for my nephew & it's a gentle place ( for NZ ) with a good mix of game. Really looking forward to it. Nice to hear from you. I saw that pic on your avatar & thought ..hey, that's a hell of a nice head. Dave

daveg

Post by daveg »

Tim, at the end of a miserable, cold trip into Fiordland I had a very pleasant 8 days hunting pigs & was looking for a black or black & white wild ram, Took this fellow on the 5th day. My Thar photos are back in the good old days of print film & I don't have any scanned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I love the wild sheep, they are underrated as a game animal. Yet they make great looking trophies and taste better then most game.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

Nice ram Dave,
Don't give up on the Tahr. Be a bugger of a thing to regret one day.
I prefer to hunt the east coast for Tahr. 25 % chance of rain on the east coast. 75% + chance of rain on the west coast. Getting snowed in for 17 days would be one hell of a test.
The avatar photo is a Red from the Raukumara ranges. East coast of the north island. He measures 43 inches. I went back to the same spot 5 years in a row before I pulled the trigger.
Tim

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”