New member. NSW, Australia.

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Just Macca

New member. NSW, Australia.

Post by Just Macca »

Hello all,

I'm looking for my first Blaser currently, with the assistance of Danny from Gunco in VIC. Either a Professional Success or perhaps an older R93 CISM/Tactical. But, they can't be found in Aus it seems. I mostly hunt in rural NSW, but shoot long range for fun.

Happy to be here!

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: New member. NSW, Australia.

Post by sav338 »

Welcome to the forum Macca, good to see another Aussie . Heaps of great experienced here.
What calls are you looking at ?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome to Blaser Buds, us yanks better recruit some more members or we will be overrun with Aussies. Glad to have you and hope you find it comfortable among us.

I started with an R93 which is a little trimmer than the R8 but after using both side by side I decided to go with the R8 and now have four of them. That's one of the dangers of getting into Blasers, they are too darned pleasing.

I also am primarily a hunter, and a retired competitive rifleman, I just shoot long distances for fun any more. In my collection of R8s my favorite 600 yard range gun is a 6mm BR in the fluted match barrel. For hunting I use two different configurations a 9.3X62 with the short 52cm semi-weight fluted barrel topped with an aimpoint H1 micro for driven game. I also have an identical barrel in .222 Remington for training on running boar targets without the recoil and tons of lead down range. And for stalking I've settled on the standard profile 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I have owned others suitable for this role, 308, 30-06, 270 and so on but I just like the 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots the same as my 6.5X55 if handloaded but the 6.5 Creedmoor wins hands down with factory loads, specifically the Hornady 143 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter Loading. Those are just some random thoughts to get you thinking.

What game do you hunt and what hunting styles? Those answers probably lead to the best caliber, barrel profile, and sighting systems.
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard Macca, don't get too caught up in Danny's hype just work out what you want and you will be right.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Welcome, I'd recommend the R93 because I love em :dance:
I just finished a long range R93 and I'm very pleased with how it turned out, it might be a suitable idea for you.
You can do a lot with an R93 without having to involve a gunsmith.
It has both 308win and 6mmBR match barrels and a Bix&Andy 250gm trigger. Although I've swapped the old bipod for a Harris tilt bipod.
15029769011520.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

You'll fit right in. Welcome!
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

+1 for the R93
I have 3 of them and wouldn't sell to by an R8 - not that I don't like them too, I just like my R93s a lot.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Twinn

Post by Twinn »

Welcome to this lovely place

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Welcome to the forum. Hope that you find what you are looking for and can soon enjoy a Blaser.

daveg

Post by daveg »

G'day Macca, yep, welcome. Just a hint, R93's are quite reasonable in the UK & it's also quite reasonable to get one here cost wise, certainly cheaper than purchasing in Oz. Have a look on Guntraderuk for a idea. I can give you the name of the guy to do all the export docs. I'm looking for a fluted barrel at present, maybe we could bring them out together, half the freight?? Dave

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds mate. :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Welcome Macca. I've got an R8 professional with three barrels and live it.

This has been advertised on used guns. If I hadn't just spent on my cash on a Rigby I'd have bought this. Nit a bad price I reckon. By the way it's nit mine and I don't know the owner.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=107923

Cheers
Rod

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Rod wrote:This has been advertised on used guns. If I hadn't just spent on my cash on a Rigby I'd have bought this. Nit a bad price I reckon. By the way it's nit mine and I don't know the owner.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=107923

Cheers
Rod
G'day Rod,

That belongs to an AHN member named Todd, I cant remember his user name, it's a pity he's selling it but it's good to see he finally got it back. :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

SPEEDY wrote:Welcome, I'd recommend the R93 because I love em :dance:
I just finished a long range R93 and I'm very pleased with how it turned out, it might be a suitable idea for you.
You can do a lot with an R93 without having to involve a gunsmith.
It has both 308win and 6mmBR match barrels and a Bix&Andy 250gm trigger. Although I've swapped the old bipod for a Harris tilt bipod.

15029769011520.jpg
Looks good Speedy just needs a direction brake so you don't blow manure everywhere. T2 terminator is the go. I'm pissing my old directional brake off and having a T2 fitted to my 300wm barrel for NZ next year.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”