Another Aussie

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

IanF

Another Aussie

Post by IanF »

Hey guys

I've been lurking for a while and thought I should say G'day. Great to see plenty of active Aussies on the forum contributing their knowledge and enthusiasm for Blaser and hunting.

I'm looking very hard at getting into an R8. Living in rural NSW it has been hard to access guns to look at in real life so I've only managed to fondle a professional model which I liked very much. I also have a good mate with an R93 so the Blaser concept is not new to me.

I have a few other guns I'm going to have to sell to fund a new purchase and I am a bit attached to them so it's taking a while to get comfortable with idea but I'm just about there.......

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Another Aussie

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard Ian.
I too went through the same process of selling other guns to make my first Blaser purchase, in fact I only recently got rid of another four guns to fund my BD14 purchase. I figure if I am not useing them whats the point of hanging on to them.
I have looked and foundled most of the R8 models and in my humble opinion I still believe the pick of the litter is the standard professional model, or success variation if you prefer.
I have used my R8 pro for years now in all sorts of crappy conditions and it has never let me down or shown much signs of wear.
Enjoy.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

I have learned a lot about Down Under from its' Blaser Buds and look forward to your contributions.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good to hear from you Ian. Im sure ive got a picture somewhere in my travels about to shoot a deer with the 260 rem.

What calibres are you thinking?

daveg

Post by daveg »

welcome aboard Ian.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome aboard! Just had a friend from Cairns here for about a week.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

IanF

Post by IanF »

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes chuck the 260 is a very nice gun and I just got back from using it loaded with 129gn SST and it worked exceptionally well on pigs and goats - both close and long range.

As for caliber choices it really depends on what I do with my current line-up. I have a black bear in 308 as well as the 260 and also a 6PPC so you see I really like the 6mm - .308 size and I want the 4 + 1 capacity. The .308 is an obvious choice for time poor (no reloading - quality cheap ammo available) covers all game I chase but of course a little boring but it certainly works. On the flip side lots of interesting options available including 6.5 x 47 (replace the 260), 6.5 x 65 (looks like it would be a really fun thing), 6XC (because its not a 243) and 6.5 x 55 (classic Euro). I thought 6BR was an option (my 6PPC could fund it) but seems not offered in the R8 these days?

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I love my 6XC for pigs and goats...
One of the 6.5's would be a great choice.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Welcome Ian. Picking the first chambering for first R8 barrel was a bit of a delima for me. In the end I went for a 30/06. Boring, but honest. And we all know that the 30/06 is never a bad choice.

As for your Black Bear in 308. Best rifle that Sako make in my opinion. Sold mine a few months ago to pay for a Rigby Highland. Sort of regretting having sold that Blackbear now. Bloody accurate and pointed well. So don't sell the Blackbear unless you have to.

Cheers
Rod

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

With the plethora of cheap 308Win ammo these days and no time to reload its a no brainer.

Cleavers are throwing out the 308 ammo. One of can would last the average hunter a couple of years of hunting. I have used the 180gr game king and it has made short work of pigs, deer, goats and foxes.

AUSSIE OUTBACK
308WIN 165GR SP
AMMUNITION
LOADED WITH SIERRA GAMEKING
PROJECTILES
WITH FREE AMMO CAN
$660 /PER 480 ROUNDS

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Welcome good to hsve another NSW man here, too many bloody Mexicans. :lol:
I've done a lot of hunting with the 260rem, I never had much luck with the 129gn and accuracy due to having to seat them in a little too fep for top accuracy.
The 123gn SST solved that problem and solved it well.

I would avoid the 6mmBR as a hunting round unless you want to use it on varmints, I've got one and while its rolled a few fallow, its been far from impressive.

The good old 308win is a solid performer, I've got two and they work very very well. But the 30/06 might be another good choice as it will do something a little more then the 260rem will, and the 308win can for that matter.

If your going to replace the 308win and the 260rem, then either a 6.5x55 or 308win, even the 30/06 for that matter would be a goid choice.

Where abouts in NSW are you?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard Ian, look forward to see what you end up getting.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

IanF

Post by IanF »

Thanks Speedy, the 123s would be good too but I have had no trouble grouping with the 129s.

I'm in the New England mate, not a lot of opportunity to handle new Blaser up here unfortunately.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It all depends on the magazine length, mine was a model 7 and the magazine was a touch too short.
I could seat them out and shoot under 1/2" or set them to feed from the magazine and have them group 1.5"

Either way they killed well.
But I did prefer the 120gn nosler BT, or for bunnies, pigs and goats the 100gn nosler screaming out at 3300fps.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

IanF

Post by IanF »

Rod wrote:Welcome Ian. Picking the first chambering for first R8 barrel was a bit of a delima for me. In the end I went for a 30/06. Boring, but honest. And we all know that the 30/06 is never a bad choice.

As for your Black Bear in 308. Best rifle that Sako make in my opinion. Sold mine a few months ago to pay for a Rigby Highland. Sort of regretting having sold that Blackbear now. Bloody accurate and pointed well. So don't sell the Blackbear unless you have to.

Cheers
Rod
Well I sold the 260 and so far have kept the black bear. Still thinking .308 will be my first option in a professional if I buy new. I’ve read lots of comments with guys tossing up standard profile and semi weight. If new I will go standard but thinking second hand I will need to keep all options open so may end up with a semi weight. Anyone bought a standard length semi weight professional that could give me a weight in a cal similar to .308 so I could compare to my black bear? I think it will be around 3.2kg from trying to cross reference various figures I found but I’m not really sure. Also have to think about future purchases and if the semi weight stock channel will look ok with a standard weight barrel.

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”