A new member from France

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Kevin375

A new member from France

Post by Kevin375 »

Hello everybody.

I'm French and sorry for my english which is a bit rusty due to the lack of practice. I'm a huge fan of Blaser rifles and I bought my first R93 in 2005. Currently I've got two R93 and one R8 and I just love them. I also have a double rifle which was sold as a Sauer 97 but it's more a Blaser.

Now I only use this brand of rifle when I hunt in my country and also in Namibia even if I own other brands. I like to travel for hunting and especialy in Namibia, a country that I love and very easy to bring rifles, but I also hunted in England and Mauritius. I like to reload my ammunitions too.

stokesrj

Re: A new member from France

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome to Blaser Buds, you will find many of us who have laid down our other guns and use Blaser now. You will need ten posts before our classified section will be available to you. So why don't you tell us about what game animals you hunt, your favorite animal an caliber?
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate.
You will enjoy this forum, plenty of friendly people willing to share their knowledge.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Kevin375

Post by Kevin375 »

Thank you very much ;)

Here in France, I prefer the walk and stalk or hunting from a hide than the classic driven hunt even if I'm still partner on the little hunting area runs by my father. On my municipality, I love fox hunting during the summer and also boar when wheat is in milk. I believe we're closer to the nature with these types of hunting and we see more animals even if they are not huntable at this seasons, it's always enjoyable. We also have roe deers and red deers on the municipality but we can only hunt them during driven hunt. That's why I'm going the next week-end in the south of France for hunting red deers in the Pyrenean mountains.
In Namibia I've hunted a lot of plains game and also a brown Hyena, an elephant and a hippo. All games are interesting but elephant is probably the most emotional hunt I've lived. I return the next year into this country for a buffalo.
The .375 Holland & Holland magnum is probably my favourite caliber even if I like a lot my .300 Winchester magnum and even more since I changed the factory trigger for a Bix'n Andy.
I bought a Blaser R8 PH in .458 Lott two weeks ago because I wanted a bigger caliber and last year during my trip in the Caprivi strip, my PH had the same rifle in the same caliber and he allowed me to shoot it on target. After these two bullets fired, I said I want the same one and now my dream came true.
I've started to reload this caliber due to the price of factory ammunitions with Barnes TSX 350 gr and Hornady Interlock 500 gr but I'll use other brands and weights in the future : Degol, Woodleigh...etc.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Welcome aboard, Blasers certainly get addictive.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard Kevin, sounds like you have a nice range of cal for your Blaser rifles. Looking forward in seeing a few photos of your awesome hunting adventures.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

You'll find more calibers that appeal to you! Welcome aboard.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Kevin375 wrote:Thank you very much ;)

Here in France, I prefer the walk and stalk or hunting from a hide than the classic driven hunt even if I'm still partner on the little hunting area runs by my father. On my municipality, I love fox hunting during the summer and also boar when wheat is in milk. I believe we're closer to the nature with these types of hunting and we see more animals even if they are not huntable at this seasons, it's always enjoyable. We also have roe deers and red deers on the municipality but we can only hunt them during driven hunt. That's why I'm going the next week-end in the south of France for hunting red deers in the Pyrenean mountains.
In Namibia I've hunted a lot of plains game and also a brown Hyena, an elephant and a hippo. All games are interesting but elephant is probably the most emotional hunt I've lived. I return the next year into this country for a buffalo.
The .375 Holland & Holland magnum is probably my favourite caliber even if I like a lot my .300 Winchester magnum and even more since I changed the factory trigger for a Bix'n Andy.
I bought a Blaser R8 PH in .458 Lott two weeks ago because I wanted a bigger caliber and last year during my trip in the Caprivi strip, my PH had the same rifle in the same caliber and he allowed me to shoot it on target. After these two bullets fired, I said I want the same one and now my dream came true.
I've started to reload this caliber due to the price of factory ammunitions with Barnes TSX 350 gr and Hornady Interlock 500 gr but I'll use other brands and weights in the future : Degol, Woodleigh...etc.
I suspected you might say the .375 H&H was your favorite given your chosen handle. I find it interesting that you prefer the stalk or hide to the driven hunt. I'm relatively new to hunting in Europe but so far most of the hunters I meet here in Germany prefer the driven hunts. I like both, the adrenalin of the driven hunt and the deliberate purpose of the hochsitz and the stalk.

I can't really say which I like most. So far I've killed more game from the hide and the stalk than the driven hunt but I do enjoy the anticipation as it becomes obvious the boars are headed my way.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Welcome and nice collection. :handgestures-thumbup:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, I forgot to say that now, with the 458 Lott You are armed well enough to consider trying to take a Sambar. Our Australian members here all know that although a 375 will sometimes kill a Sambar it is a little on the weak side :shhh:
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Bienvenue Kevin!

Kevin375

Post by Kevin375 »

Thank you gentlemen ;)

Robert. The main problem with driven hunt for me is not the hunt by itself but people taking part to the hunt. Unfortunatly, when we hunt in community we are not exactly all the same and some people are jealous when you are more lucky than other partners even if you draw lots your place at the beginning of the hunt :( That's hunting but they don't accept it.
The other problem is the safety instruction. Even if we are very strict with it, a little percent of people are not able to respect it or understand it and especialy when they see big animals. They lose their self control and sometimes they make very dangerous shots. I already heard the noise of bullets passing next to me and I can garantee it was very scary :cry:

I have the responsability to bring hunters at their post and unfortunatly some hunters doesn't listen my instruction even if they are very simple. Yesterday, the weather was awful and I prefered to stay at home but unfortunatly I heard from my father that a young man didn't respect the rules. He shot a red deer in front of him quite far what's forbidden because it's very risky for beaters and after he shot a boar with no respect of the 30°angle. At the end, he got a nice fine and he is not the welcome anymore but it seems he didn't understand the gravity of his shot. That's just terrible :evil:

The .375 Holland & Holland magnum is the most versatile caliber and I killed game from hare and foxes to elephant with it and from my feet up to 265 meters. I have never been disapointed with it whatever the hunt. For Driven hunt I use Degol Lion load 300 gr reloaded my myself with Vihtavuori N150 but in Africa I also used CEB Safari solid 300 gr and the last time the French Sauvestre EXR 257 gr loaded with Vihtavuori N140.

I would like to hunt a nice sambar deer a day but before I have the project to hunt one red deer the next week with the Lott ;) I tried my loading this afternoon on target at 50 meters and it's very encouraging. I just need to confirm it tuesday at 100 meters and a bit further and if it's ok I will use it. Hunting classic game with one's rifle before dangerous game is for me the best way to be ready the D-Day. I'm used to handling my rifles and I'm better than many people all around me who has never shot one bullet on target because they always say : " My gunsmith did the job".

Twinn

Post by Twinn »

Welcome!

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I think youll find the woodleigh bullets very good in the 458 lott. Im using them in 7mm up to 416. They are accurate and perform well.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:

Keen to read some hunt reports of your Namibian trips if you care to post them ;)

One of these days I've got to head over there for an Oryx but I seem to have a few too many connections with Zambians at present which keep drawing me to that part of the continent. I suspect your view of Namibia might be similar to mine with Zambia - once you find a good spot with good people it's easy to keep going back than venture to a neighbouring country and deal with slightly different regulations :)

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”