New Member from Australia

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Central Vic

New Member from Australia

Post by Central Vic »

G'day folks

New member and Blaser owner. Recently picked up an R8 Pro Success in green with a .308 barrel. Have topped it off with a Schmidt and Bender Summit in Talley rings and bases. My new deer rifle - see attached in the shed after strip and clean.

Been dreaming about owning a Blaser for the past 4 or 5 years. Its a funny story, almost fate and a heck of a lotta luck, that I even had the opportunity to own one. Mid last year I took a couple of hundred dollars (around $230 i think) I had left over as allowances from a work trip and put it into Bitcoin in a wallet named Dream -> Blaser, not expecting it to do much, but figuring it was worth a shot and that one day I might be able to get the rifle of my dreams... I wasn't about to save that kind of money anytime soon... I kind of forgot about it until about October this year when the media started going bannas about bitcoins. Anyway, a few weeks back I checked my account balance and after converting to AUD I realised I had enough to buy the rifle. Not enough to buy a scope too but I was prepared to trade a couple of old rifles and do a lot of haggling to make that happen. There was lots of guilt thinking about spending that sort of money on a rifle, especially when my others were doing an acceptable job (albeit without the same flair). Expecting a 6 month wait I called Gunco and was surprised to find they had a new one in stock in 308 ready to go. That was all I needed to get me across the line. I sold my part of a bitcoin, still half expecting the money to not turn up in my account and that it was all a stupid scam. To my surprise it did and I promptly went out and paid in cash for my R8. I'm still justifying the cost to myself, however, the money never really existed in my eyes so I am coming to terms with it ;)

Haven't had a chance to shoot her yet but I've stripped and cleaned her and torqued all the screws to spec. Maybe tomorrow if the range is open otherwise in the new year. Already thinking about the next barrell. Reckon I'll go with either a 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag for reaching out and very much looking forward to the wriggle sticks going away and Sambar season firing up again.

My first DIY project is a tool roll style storage for the rifle. I prefer to be inconspicuous when hiking into hunting country so I'm looking for a way to carry it in my backpack taken down and not bumping it to bits. I have some suede deer hides that I'm sewing into cylinders to hold the barrel and scope, stock and action. Will post pics when its done.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: New Member from Australia

Post by sav338 »

Welcome to the forum and to the Blaser family. Its a beginning to the virus called Blaser addiction .Im sure you will love yours as I do mine. p.s. Ive read that the range is closed till the 5th.
Regards
Steve

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds mate. :handgestures-thumbup:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

TheoR8 wrote::text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds mate. :handgestures-thumbup:
What he said ;) I will be very interested to see the pics of your tool kit. I'll ask the obvious question - the 308W is nice but what will your next bbl be?? :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Better buy some more bit coins, your going to wake up with a craving for more barrels any day now. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Central Vic. Great story of how you got your Blaser. You'll have fun here.

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Welcome aboard, and good call on the bitcoin investment! I wish I'd bought some a year ago!

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome aboard! Good investment.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Glad to have you. Has to be the first Blaser bought with Bitcoin.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Welcome aboard . Think that you will enjoy the Blaser. Great calibre and as the others have said just the start of many :lol: :lol:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard, if we only new that bitcoin would go nuts one day.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate.
You are in for a fun ride with your new Blaser.
Awesome hunting rifle.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome aboard, we will encourage you in all things Blaser, some would say a bad influence, but for me anyway it has only driven me to find other ways to invest my money for a higher yield and to pay for my Blaser habits along the way. Hint, look at Ethereum.
Robert J Stokes

daveg

Post by daveg »

welcome Central Vic, great success story about Bitcoin!! Enjoy your mighty Blaser.

Central Vic

Post by Central Vic »

Thanks guys and hope you've all had a great New Year. Feeling a little dusty today but over the worst of the hangover :-)

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”