New member from the mid-west, USA.

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

SLG

New member from the mid-west, USA.

Post by SLG »

Hello to all you Blaser lovers out there. Just found this site a day or two ago, and have been reading up, as I am a new owner of an R8 Pro S. I have 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for it, and there is a lot to like about the system. Also, I can highly recommend Eurooptic for all things Blaser. Great guys to deal with.

I have not yet shot the 6.5 barrel, but I have to say, the 308 is underwhelming at this time. 75 rds down the tube, and both accuracy and precision are among the worst of any rifle I have ever owned, unless we're counting AR's. I see that some of you have also had these issues with not only 308, but 6.5 as well. Anyway, I am not flaming Blaser by any means, and will be in touch with them tomorrow. Just been waiting till after the holidays.

So, probably more info than you wanted from an intro. :-) I've been a Blaser fan since the 90's, but have always held off on buying one, as it didn't quite fit my needs. Finally decided I just needed one anyway, so here I am. I hope things will work out, and that I'll enjoy this gun for a long time.

Hope you guys all have a safe happy new year.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: New member from the mid-west, USA.

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome aboard. You might check several things. Make sure the receiver and the barrel are Clean, no oil or grease. Tighten the barrel nuts Tight. What are you using for ammo?
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

SLG

Post by SLG »

I have read and watched everything I could find on Blaser setup, maintenance, accuracy, etc. As far as I can tell, I am doing everything they say. As you say, no oil in or on the barrel or chassis.

Maybe I can tighten the barrel more, idk. I'm used to having a torque spec on all my precision rifles, and Blaser has repeatedly said that it doesn't matter on the barrel nuts. So...how tight is tight? Can I hurt things if I really crank them down? Blaser also says that the order doesn't matter. Another friend with an R8 says that he has better luck when he tightens the front nut first, then the back, then hits them each again. Same with the scope mount. I'm using a Contessa Pic rail, extended to the rear. They are tight, but how tight? The scope is a NF ATACR 5-25, and it is torqued to the required spec. Came right off an APA custom 300wm, and has always worked perfectly.

I'm shooting Federal 168 Gold Medal Match. I have never found a rifle that wouldn't shoot this stuff well. I have 4 other match rounds to try out, but with the results I'm getting, I really doubt it's the ammo.

Any help or further thoughts would certainly be much appreciated.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the trouble with your 308. My R93 308bbl is boringly accurate regardless of the chaff it gets fed.

I don't have the R8 but 3 R93s - not sure what others do but I don't have a special routine for tightening the bbl nuts, I just go back and forth between them to snug them down. I stop tightening when the Blaser tool starts to flex and the nuts don't move. I've never had a problem with reproducibility.

For the scope, tight enough so I don't bruise my thumb or break the little leaver off..... :-) Seriously, snug has always been enough, even for my 9.3x74R.

If you feel you've done everything right, getting hold of Blaser is your best bet. Give 'em a chance to help fix the problem, if there is one, before you get disappointed. Good luck!
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Hi mate and welcome aboard.
As Vaughan has mentioned above tighten the barrel nuts until the tool slightly flexes, no more.
Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly guys on this site will help you sort out your 6.5 and 308.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds mate. :handgestures-thumbup:

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I would suggest that you check the scope mounts. It`s a heavy scope and the mount is not a factory one.
From my experience until now... Factory mounts(genuine blaser) are best,after market not so much...I hear there are a couple of exceptions(innomount for example) but I don`t have any experience with them..
I've had issues with an EAW Mount on my 9,3x62...It was moving under recoil even though it was bolted pretty tight..
I've yet to see a blaser that wouldn`t shoot good. My 308 is also pretty accurate,couldn`t find a factory load that didn`t shot well out of it(<MOA),rws target elite plus did one hole four round groups,for all of the 20 rounds that were in the box.I mostly use 165-168 grain bullets in my barrel.
My 9,3x62 is also very accurate. Most of the factory loads I fed it were <moa... My handloads are a little above 0.5 moa...

Best regards,
Jordan

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Welcome to the forum and I hope it changes for the better.
What size barrels do you have on the stock 17mm ,19mm or the 22mm. If it’s a new rifle the stock might need to be opened up .
The barrel might be touching the stock .

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've had 3 308win barrels and all have shot better then me.
I'd check the scope mount screws 1st, then try a different scope second.
But that is also assuming that you tried a few diffent loads 1st.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

Try different ammo. Hornady TAP is a good alternative to GMM.

It is a European rifle and might not get on with American
ammo :D

I would also buy some 6.5 creedmoor ammo and try your mounts and scope on that barrel as well. If it shoots you can safely say thats not the problem.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I like Scotch_egg’s suggestion of trying the 6.5 barrel out with the same scope and mount. That would be a simple way of seeing if they were to blame.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Also, welcome to blaserbuds!

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I would just keep shooting the 308. Like I noted in another post. My Creedmoor barrel settled in at around 200 rounds, and is one of the best shooters in my safe now. Try to find a place to shoot further than 100 yards. Punching tiny holes at 100 is not terribly important. What you need to be able to do is hit a deer at 300-400 yards.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SLG

Post by SLG »

Thanks very much guys, for the welcome and the advice!

No worries, I'm not giving up on it yet. 17mm barrels, mounts are nice and tight. I would prefer Blaser mounts, but the LOP is too long for me, and I needed to be able to move the scope back further. Looks like only Contessa goes that far back, but I could be wrong. If the gun starts shooting, I will probably get the stock cut down (suggestions?), and then maybe I could switch to the blaser factory rail, idk.

for accuracy, the gun was capable of taking deer out of the box. I'm looking for a little more, both at close range, and long. I have a 300 yard range at home, and a 1000 down the road. Until I can keep a consistent POI at 100 (accuracy is a problem, not just precision), it seems like a frustrating waste to take it out further. I effectively have no real zero at this time. But, it's Tuesday! Time to talk to Blaser:-)

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Is your POI shifting, are you getting two seperate groups per group, or is it just spraying them?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”