Hello - Central Highlands Victoria, Australia.

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

AussieR8Black

Hello - Central Highlands Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieR8Black »

Hello all,

I'm new to Blaser and here is a quick rundown of how I got here.

My lovely wife bought me a R8 Black Edition in 270win yesterday. We went in to buy me a shooting stick for Father's Day and walked out owning a Blaser. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I am super excited and can't wait to pick it up. I have been looking for a new rifle for a while and was dreaming of a Blaser but never thought I could afford or justify the expense. About three weeks ago I went into my local gunshop and asked a guy who owns multiple R93s what he thought of them. Obviously he was giving them high praise. He then asked what cal I wanted and I told him 9.3 x 62. As luck would have it he had a brand new unfired second hand R8 Black Edition in 270 for sale, there were other bits and pieces with it as well inlcuding a 223 barrel. Unfortunately I couldn't stretch the wife's generosity to include the 223.

The price was right, and by right I mean crazy. I told my wife and the answer was no, no way, no chance. Ok I'll save up for it.

Fast forward to yesterday and she says go, couldn't believe my luck.

So now the plan is to work out how to get the coin to buy the 9.3 x 62 as my second barrel and then dream of a third. I am looking to sell one of my rifles to help raise some cash and I have a bonus and some back pay coming my way. I hope to divert these funds directly to the 9.3. Here's hoping anyway.

I have spent a few hours on the forum today and it is a wealth of information.

Thanks for letting me join this community.

Cheers, Steve.

mchughcb

Re: Hello - Central Highlands Victoria, Australia.

Post by mchughcb »

Welcome and im sure the 270 will do for at least a year before you get itch like everyone and start yearning for more lol!

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Steve, a 223 and 9.3x62 barrel would give you a complete rifle package. Which shop did you buy it from?? :handgestures-thumbup:

AussieR8Black

Post by AussieR8Black »

TheoR8 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:08 am :text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Steve, a 223 and 9.3x62 barrel would give you a complete rifle package. Which shop did you buy it from?? :handgestures-thumbup:
Ideally I would have bought it but the extra $$$ for the 223 was not gunna fly, although given that the "rifle" itself is now gone I may have more bargaining power as it would not be as attractive now that the package is separated. I got it from Rehfisch's in Ballarat, I know most of the guys pretty well there, but Killa is good mates with my old man and he put me straight onto it. It was for sale on consignment.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

AussieR8Black wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:48 am Ideally I would have bought it but the extra $$$ for the 223 was not gunna fly, although given that the "rifle" itself is now gone I may have more bargaining power as it would not be as attractive now that the package is separated. I got it from Rehfisch's in Ballarat, I know most of the guys pretty well there, but Killa is good mates with my old man and he put me straight onto it. It was for sale on consignment.
Great pick-up mate. If you buy the 223 barrel don't forget you would need a MI (mini) bolthead for it, the mag insert comes standard with the barrel as well as a proof certificate. :handgestures-thumbup:

AussieR8Black

Post by AussieR8Black »

mchughcb wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:34 am Welcome and im sure the 270 will do for at least a year before you get itch like everyone and start yearning for more lol!
I am sure the 270 will do, but the problem I have is I had my heart set on a 9.3. I was looking at the Maral or a Sako in either the Black Bear or Grizzly as I thought I could not afford a new Blaser, for the sake of the exercise I was asking Killa at the gun shop about the Blaser and what sort of coin a new Professional would set me back when he told me about the 270 and it was too good a deal to let go, the 9.3 barrel is not such a huge leap now. :D

Now I just need to wait for the permit to acquire to be approved... :whistle:

AussieR8Black

Post by AussieR8Black »

TheoR8 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:54 am Great pick-up mate. If you buy the 223 barrel don't forget you would need a MI (mini) bolthead for it, the mag insert comes standard with the barrel as well as a proof certificate. :handgestures-thumbup:
The 223 comes with the bolt head, mag insert and a second trigger/mag assy, the guy who was selling obviously didn't have any cashflow issues as there is a heap of other stuff as well.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

A 270win will still get the job done until you find a 9.3 barrel, maybe not necessarily needed but every Blaser owner needs at least one 9.3 barrel. :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard Steve, you’re not a really Blaser owner till you have a 9.3x62 barrel in your bag of tricks. :lol: :dance:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

AussieR8Black wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:03 am The 223 comes with the bolt head, mag insert and a second trigger/mag assy, the guy who was selling obviously didn't have any cashflow issues as there is a heap of other stuff as well.
Nice, time to sell some manure and snap it up. :handgestures-thumbup:
Last edited by TheoR8 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yarrenby

Post by Yarrenby »

Welcome to the Blaser club Steve. And to the forum. You’ve started in style with an R8 Black edition :clap:
If you do someone a favour, forget it.
If somone does you a favour, never forget it.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Welcome to the brotherhood of Blasers.
I’m sure like the rest you will love it., as budget allows there will be additions. Keep an eye on used guns .
Blasers and parts are coming up more and more.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Welcome to the forum, I shoot a pro success in .270 and love it so I’m sure you’ll be happy.

By the way you’re a lucky man to have a wife who buys you a Blaser for a birthday present :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate.
If your wife bought you an R8 Black Edition you are a very lucky man.
A 223, 270 and a 9.3x62 make a lot of sense .
Enjoy the forum Steve.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

:text-welcomewave:

I would pick up the 223 barrel also if it is priced right. That about covers it, 223, 270 and 9.3X62 you have a complete battery for all rifle hunted game other than a stopping rifle.
But also let’s see some pics of your black edition.
:text-worthless:
Robert J Stokes

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”