Scot living in NZ

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

jock465

Scot living in NZ

Post by jock465 »

Hi guys,

I’m a scot who lives in South Island, NZ. Been introduced to blasers back in the UK and finally decided to “pull the trigger” on one (sorry). Just not sure whether to get the R8 pro or pro success model. Mainly for hunting but keen shooter too so was thinking about 2 barrels, one for each. Looking at .270 standard and 6.5 creedmoor target barrel but open to ideas and advice from you guys.

Thanks.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Scot living in NZ

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome to the forum.
I am sure you will enjoy. Great bunch of people.
I don't think you can go far wrong with either model, though the standard pro is very slightly lighter.
I prefer the 7x64 myself, however the 270 will do a fine job, especially if you are not reloading.
3006 would also be another fine choice.

If your hunting includes a lot of mountain hunting consider the light weight K95.
A lot of guys on this forum love them.
Allan
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Laddie, I prefer the R8 pro myself but have a look at both and see what fits you the best. :handgestures-thumbup:
Last edited by TheoR8 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Welcome, I'm in South Island too, near Christchurch. I second the 7x64, especially if you are hunting the tops. I've got a K95 in 7x65R and it is a hammer on deer.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Welcome to the group, I’m sure there will eventually get more that two barrels, you will as all of us have get hooked on Blasers and it’s ability and modular Change ability .

jock465

Post by jock465 »

Thanks guys who are the dealers in NZ? Would love to get my hands on the success before putting down a deposit.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

jock465 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 am Thanks guys who are the dealers in NZ? Would love to get my hands on the success before putting down a deposit.
These guys are the Importers, maybe get in contact with them to find out. :handgestures-thumbup:

http://www.stagersport.co.nz/

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

A guy with a kilt in NZ, now there's a joke in the making. :lol:

But welcome and your going to enjoy your new rifle when you find it. :handgestures-thumbup:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

There is also I guy in NZ that makes some pretty awesome carbon fiber stocks for the R8, or do I have that wrong?
Also Hardy in NZ makes carbon fibre barrels for the R8?

NZ is not a bad place for a Blaser owner to live.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Welcome aboard Jock I hope you enjoy it here. 7mm Rum seems to be a favourite in NZ with the guys over there, so have a look at that barrel as well. It looks like the minister for environment is planning on a massive cull of the mighty Tahr down your way. I encourage everyone to jump on and sign the petition and chuck a few bob into the fighting funds to help the Tahr foundation fight the NZ Government in stop this madness. For us Aussie it’s a super cheap hunt that other people from around the world, would spend massive coin to hunt. So don’t be shy and chip a few bucks in and help out our fellow Anzac. :clap:

https://www.national.org.nz/stop_the_ta ... _id=736355

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/nz-tahr-foundation
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Welcome aboard Jock. You'll have some fun here....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

HI Jock, welcome to Blaserbuds, I hope you find some helpful information here. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor standard profile barrel and it shoots great, I love the caliber and have several other rifles chambered in it as well. I also like the 270 and see it as superior to the 6.5 Creedmoor for 0-300 yard hunting but beyond that the 6.5 Creedmoor with it's sleeker bullets comes into its own field of superior performance. It is also more pleasant to shoot.
Be aware that if you opt for the target barrel that the barrel channel must be widened to accommodate the larger diameter. The standard barrel is 17mm the semi-weight is 19mm and Fluted Match Target barrel is 22mm. I have R8's with both widened barrel channel and standard because I don't like the looks of the gap when using a standard barrel in a widened barrel channel. Others report they find it acceptable. Just something to be aware of.
If I were starting out all over again I would just stay with standard barrel contours. They are just as accurate and more fun to carry :). My personal opinion is that the fluted match barrels are better if your shooting 20 shot strings but the standard barrels handle 5 shot strings just fine.
Robert J Stokes

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome aboard! I've got both of the models you are considering and really like the Success platform. It would be helpful if you could fondle one or the other first.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Welcome to the forum mate.

As to rifle and caliber ? I'd go an R8 Professional with a 308 barrel first up. That's more than enough gun for all your big game. But, I reckon it would be almost mandatory for a NZ Hunter to use a 7/08. Then, for the second barrel (note: NOT LAST) a 223 barrel for sniping hares and rabbits.

What are you using and hunting now?

Good Luck

Rod

jock465

Post by jock465 »

Thanks guys can’t wait to join the club properly. As for the moment I shoot a 25/06 which I love but blaser don’t do it in the r8 so figured .270 would cover everything between here and the UK hunting wise. Then can load specific target loads in the 6.5.

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”