New Member from MS headed to S. Africa

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

g4blaser

New Member from MS headed to S. Africa

Post by g4blaser » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:35 am

Hey guys,
Im putting a trip together for my father and my two boys. Trying to put a Blaser package together so we can all shoot out of the same barrel for plains game and then Im looking to take a Cape Buffalo.

any thoughts or ideas on calibers, set up, etc. Will use Blaser for Elk, whitetail and nilgai back in the states.

Thanks and look forward the site.
GSH

gsh@haymanslaw.com

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

Olsen

Re: New Member from MS headed to S. Africa

Post by Olsen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:30 am

I guess you need a .375 for buffalo, so it dont leave a big choose of barrels :whistle:

Good luck, and remember a lot of pictures :clap:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:12 am

Welcome aboard. The R8 is the ultimate hunting rifle. You will not be disappointed. A 375 HH would definitely be the choice if wanting to hunt cape buff and plains game with the same barrel. You will end up wanting another barrel to hunt deer with . And then another barrel to shoot varmints with. And then another barrel in between each of those.....it's a dangerous and expensive path you are heading down haha!

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Welcome to Blaserbuds G4Blaser.
My guess is you need to determine any of the caliber limitations of your group. Also different countries have different caliber restrictions. Best to consult your PH about that and ask him for his recommendations based off your group's limitations. If you are planning to shoot Wildebeest and larger PG I would start at around 30-06 or 8x57 and go up. If not then any 6.5 and up will do. One of the all time classics and a favorite around here is the 9.3x62. It will handle everything you've mentioned but may not be legal for Buffalo, ask your PH.

Not knowing what Blaser stock you are planning to shoot, realize there are a couple of different factors to consider in choosing your Blaser. For example, in the Professional Stock, you can get a std weight stock or a Safari grade stock. The difference is weight and barrel channel opening. The std. stock has an aluminum receiver and the Safari stock has a steel receiver. I could be wrong but I think the std. stock will handle the bigger calibers up to .458 Lott but you may need to have the barrel channel opened as some of the bigger calibers have a larger diameter barrel. You see Blaser mades some different weighted barrels. The std. weight the muzzle is 17mm then you have semi weight the muzzle is ? 19mm (I don't have one) and there is the Safari Selous at 22mm. I think the .375H&H is offered in the different weights. Best to check with your dealer or maybe someone else here on the forum who knows can chime in. Also I don't think the .375H&H would be a problem recoil wise in the std. stock but the .458 Lott might be a bit stout.

All that being said, a classic hunting combination that you can't go wrong with, barring your group limitations, would be the .375H&H and the .300WM. Good luck with your purchase and your hunt. The Blaser is a great platform you will enjoy for a lifetime.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm

My recommendation would be a 7mm Rem Mag and a 375 H&H standard contour std length for both. That way you can use the same bolt head for both calibers and it will span all your target animals nicely.
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:47 pm

7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag for plains game, .375H&H for buff would work in a standard stock with standard profile barrels. Rather than invest in the 22mm safari barrel you can add a kickstop for less money if you want to tame the recoil.
If you like big bores and big animals then the R8 gives you options such as a .500J for buff and .338 Win for larger plains game the standard 17mm barrel will look a bit strange in the 22mm barrel channel but you can look past that. The question of do you need anything bigger than the 6.5x54, 270 or .308 for PG is as old as the safari industry. As posted above the hunting of DG does have regulations to stop you getting stomped, they do vary between countries and provinces. The 9,3x62 and .375 H&H are adequate minimums and after seeing them work in the field I’ll be taking something starting at .4” next time, whenever that may be.... the fun part with the R8 is anything .4 or larger = 22mm barrel and safari surcharge. So we come back to just how much interest do you have in big bores and big game?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Not that I’ve been there but I would be taking the 375H/H or bigger for your DG and 26” 300wm barrel for everything else. Good mate of mine goes all the time and he just uses his 338wm for everything.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:25 am

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds GSH, I'm planning to go over to Sth Africa in 2020 and I will be taking along my R8 with 300wm & 375H&H barrels. :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 am

TheoR8 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:25 am
:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds GSH, I'm planning to go over to Sth Africa in 2020 and I will be taking along my R8 with 300wm & 375H&H barrels. :handgestures-thumbup:
Da Plane, Da plane .
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:52 pm

:text-welcomeconfetti: If your all going to be using the same outfit then I reckon go with a cartridge that everyone can shoot comfortably. If every one is comfortable and competent shooting the 375H&H through the R8 then I reckon the 375H&H and 300Win Mag barrel combination would be hard to beat. Ammo is everywhere and there is plenty of choice. Same bolt head. Both cartridges are :handgestures-thumbup:

If one of the group is a tad recoil shy then go with the 9.3x62 and 30/06. Ammo for both everywhere in Africa. Same bolt head. Both cartridges are :handgestures-thumbup:

What ever way you go you'll be well armed and I doubt if the game your hunting will know with what cartridge they were dispatched.

Having said that go the 9.3x62 and the 06. It will show that you have style. :dance: :whistle:

Cheers
Rod

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:45 pm

The .375 will work for both. That's usually what I take for a light rifle.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:12 pm

That’s probably the most practical for a one hunter trip. one rifle, one batch of ammo (soft sand solids shooting to same Poi) and one scope (throw in a spare for paranoia). Many an impala, reedbuck, bushbuck etc has fallen to a buffalo load. Trouble arises if 2 of 3 hunters aren’t up for the recoil and haven’t shot anything bigger than an ‘06

g4blaser

Post by g4blaser » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Glad to be a part of this forum. Had a great phone call with Eddie W and looking forward to putting a platform together with his stock and receiver. Thanks for all the info! digesting it now.
GSH
NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

g4blaser

Post by g4blaser » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 am

Bob,

Thanks for the call. It looks like ill be putting together the following barrels: 300WinMag for PG, and potentially 6.5 for my boys; 375H&H for Cape Buffalo and large PG.

I have a stock/receiver coming from Eddie W and if anyone has components that they know of or have for sale, please PM me.

Also, any info on silencers and muzzle breaks that work well with the Blaser barrel, pleaes advise.

Thanks
GSH
NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”