Finally decided it's time for a Blaser

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

oeburke

Re: Finally decided it's time for a Blaser

Post by oeburke »

Thanks gents. I was able to spend quite a bit of time behind a regular old R8 professional last weekend finally. As a result of that, I bought one in 7mm mag from Longrider on the forum yesterday! This is going to be a workhorse rig for international travel. I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT ready to mount up, just on the hunt for a 1” saddle mount now ... then a 257 wtby barrel ... then a 375 h&h barrel ... the fun begins!

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Congrats! I know a guy who has both a 257wby and a 375hh barrel he is looking to sell. I'll get him in contact with you.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Don't forget a 9.3 barrel, your not a real Blaser owner until you have owned a 9.3 barrel. 🤣👍
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

oeburke

Post by oeburke »

Haha, that does indeed seem to be one of the initiation standards in the Blaser family! Since the 7mag barrel comes first, I’m going to need to hear what happened with you and the 7mag ...

Blueranger

Post by Blueranger »

Go with the 30-06, even with the current ammo shortage, the '06 is still available as any and it's popular and available most places. Can get heavier bullets if needed and remember when the bullet mushrooms the 30 cal bullet creates a noticeable larger wound channel than the 7mm.

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

oeburke wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am Thanks gents. I was able to spend quite a bit of time behind a regular old R8 professional last weekend finally. As a result of that, I bought one in 7mm mag from Longrider on the forum yesterday! This is going to be a workhorse rig for international travel. I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT ready to mount up, just on the hunt for a 1” saddle mount now ... then a 257 wtby barrel ... then a 375 h&h barrel ... the fun begins!
Take plenty of your own ammo as 7mm mag is hard to get a hold of in serbia. Best of luck on your hunt and do you know which area you are hunting?

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

oeburke wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am Thanks gents. I was able to spend quite a bit of time behind a regular old R8 professional last weekend finally. As a result of that, I bought one in 7mm mag from Longrider on the forum yesterday! This is going to be a workhorse rig for international travel. I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT ready to mount up, just on the hunt for a 1” saddle mount now ... then a 257 wtby barrel ... then a 375 h&h barrel ... the fun begins!
Congrats on picking up an excellent rifle. Buying anything from Longrider is like buying a brand new one off the shelf with a nice discount applied.
I hunted mule deer with a z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT. It did the job and it does it in a super lightweight package. They are good in low light as well. I see Eddie has you on the way to the 257 Wby and 375 H&H. Both are excellent cartridges and the 375 is a legend.

oeburke

Post by oeburke »

Sakobud wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 pm
Take plenty of your own ammo as 7mm mag is hard to get a hold of in serbia. Best of luck on your hunt and do you know which area you are hunting?
I plan on it for sure! My buddy and I won an auction for a hunt with Sasha Belanic from European Hunting Adventures at the Eastern Chapter Wild Sheep Foundation show last year. We are hunting Balkan chamois in western Serbia in the Bajina Basta area, and then Russian Boar somewhere near Novi Sad I believe. Haven't been to Serbia yet, so really looking forward to it!

Sounds like you have been? Would love to hear about your experience!

oeburke

Post by oeburke »

thechamp wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 am
Congrats on picking up an excellent rifle. Buying anything from Longrider is like buying a brand new one off the shelf with a nice discount applied.
I hunted mule deer with a z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT. It did the job and it does it in a super lightweight package. They are good in low light as well. I see Eddie has you on the way to the 257 Wby and 375 H&H. Both are excellent cartridges and the 375 is a legend.
Thanks! It is indeed an "as new" rig. I am really excited to have it. I have become a huge fan of compact rifles after slogging through alders in Alaska on DIY hunts for years, and with a 20" barrel, I can make this R8 shorter than my old 30-30! I am a Z5 & BT believer. Every rifle I travel with wears one now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I will never take a shot beyond 500 yards in the field on game, so the 1" tube gives me plenty of adjustment, and being able to custom dial those turret points for different yardages, and re-tweak with different loads, etc. is really an awesome feature. I have a feeling this Blaser will get a lot of airline miles in the coming years!

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I hope so, but I'm thinking travel will be limited for the next couple of years at least.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

oeburke wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am
I plan on it for sure! My buddy and I won an auction for a hunt with Sasha Belanic from European Hunting Adventures at the Eastern Chapter Wild Sheep Foundation show last year. We are hunting Balkan chamois in western Serbia in the Bajina Basta area, and then Russian Boar somewhere near Novi Sad I believe. Haven't been to Serbia yet, so really looking forward to it!

Will be an amazing trip for sure! Serbian origin but born in Croatia and when the war started close to end of 95 we moved to serbia .Have not hunted chamois as of yet but plan to once i head back for a holiday. Novi sad is exploding with wild boars same as the rest of europe. A driven hunt will be a great experience for you.

Bajina basta in my opinion has the best population of chamois in serbia and surprised you are not hunting wild boar in the area.

Hopefully you will do some sight seeing of national park tara and river drina.

Plenty of opportunities and i am sure you will have a great hunt. Looking forward to your hunt report and do stay safe as covid is pretty bad in europe these days

Ohhhhh and before i forget you may have to upsize your pant and shirt size after the hunt hahahhaha the food and culture are top notch and i am sure you will love rakija

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

oeburke wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 am and being able to custom dial those turret points for different yardages, and re-tweak with different loads, etc. is really an awesome feature. I have a feeling this Blaser will get a lot of airline miles in the coming years!
If you haven't already done so, check these out.

https://znikiz.com/

thechamp alerted us to them some years, and he has a post in the BB Web Store with more info.

oeburke

Post by oeburke »

Sakobud wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:58 pm
oeburke wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am

Will be an amazing trip for sure! Serbian origin but born in Croatia and when the war started close to end of 95 we moved to serbia .Have not hunted chamois as of yet but plan to once i head back for a holiday. Novi sad is exploding with wild boars same as the rest of europe. A driven hunt will be a great experience for you.

Bajina basta in my opinion has the best population of chamois in serbia and surprised you are not hunting wild boar in the area.

Hopefully you will do some sight seeing of national park tara and river drina.

Plenty of opportunities and i am sure you will have a great hunt. Looking forward to your hunt report and do stay safe as covid is pretty bad in europe these days

Ohhhhh and before i forget you may have to upsize your pant and shirt size after the hunt hahahhaha the food and culture are top notch and i am sure you will love rakija
Wow, that is great feedback! Really excited about this hunt. I will be sure to give you a full rundown!!

oeburke

Post by oeburke »

secondtry wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm
oeburke wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 am and being able to custom dial those turret points for different yardages, and re-tweak with different loads, etc. is really an awesome feature. I have a feeling this Blaser will get a lot of airline miles in the coming years!
If you haven't already done so, check these out.

https://znikiz.com/

thechamp alerted us to them some years, and he has a post in the BB Web Store with more info.
Well, that just cost me some money! Haha, thanks for sharing. Every single hunting rig I own wears a Swarovski BT scope, so I’ve got a little turret work to do!

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”