Greetings from South Texas

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

TexasWestPointer

Greetings from South Texas

Post by TexasWestPointer »

Hey guys, I live on the US - Mexico border, cut my teeth shooting small game with .22 and pellet rifle, shifted to military rifles during the war, started hunting and competing with Sako & Tikka, but today just fired my new to me Blaser R8. It's going to be hard to change my mind about Sako, but I'm open to it and am starting to put the Blaser through its paces. I'm excited to learn more from this community.

Here's my very amateur first impressions

First time shooting Blaser R8. Have been hunting and competing with Tikka & Sako, very interesting rifle by comparison. Not sure if I'll switch from Sako yet, but this is what I like so far:

1. Repeatability of scope mount, group fired real quick at 100 yards, very windy, after removing and replacing scope attachment

2. Wow, it is very compact. I'm in awe of the way the barrel, bolt assembly and trigger come apart.

3. Trigger is amazing! I thought Sako triggers were amazing, this is even better

4. Very accurate shots, even when hot. Interesting. Was shooting in high winds, factory Hornady ammo, skinny barrel, heavy reticle scope, couldn't even see aiming point

Any suggestions or tips welcome, purchased this used with .223, 6.5 & .300 RUM, am enjoying it very much so far

PS: #3 Child, 8 year old son claims he prefers Tikka Compact, hahaha

Am somewhat interested in trading off the .223 barrel, bolt and magazine for a .375 H&H or maybe a .22 LR (extreme spread, I know)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: Greetings from South Texas

Post by ebrownw2 »

I’m interested in the 223 barrel etc if you decide to part with it. I’ll send you a pm with some barrels I have to trade.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Welcome aboard. I am sure you will continue to enjoy your R8.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome Aboard. I think you'll get attached to the R8 in short order.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Welcome aboard mate.
No reason why you cannot enjoy your Blaser and Sako rifles. :whistle:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

Greetings from NE Louisiana—-not an R8 owner yet but love my two K95’s.
Welcome!!!

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome to Blasebuds. It takes a while for the value of the R8 system to fully sink in. I sold all my Tikka and Sako rifles only after several years of using my R8s under varying field conditions but as others already said there is no reason to not enjoy both. The cocking mechanism on the R8 is very difficult for young ones to deal with due to the strength required but it is a much safer gun than any conventional bolt rifle. I think you will grow to love your R8 over time.
Robert J Stokes

TexasWestPointer

Post by TexasWestPointer »

Thanks so much for your helpful comments guys! Thanks Robert Stokes, that's some good feedback I hadn't considered regarding the cocking mechanism for kids.

Those K95's look really kool Kflattman! You're right, 9.3x64, I'll hold off on selling off one or the other until I can evaluate them further.

Everyone else, thanks so much for welcoming me to the community. Let me know if you are ever in the Texas border regions!

Jeff

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

welcome aboard I would be keeping the 223 as there just such a cool cal for light game :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”