Expat living in France

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Ado

Re: Expat living in France

Post by Ado »

Mark / Dom,

I too have a R8 in 6.5x55 and hence why I am considering another calibre for France for use later this year - and I want another calibre. In the UK, the Swede is great for everything that I hunt. Dom I also have a soft spot for .270 as it was also within my dad's collection. But given the Swede is .264 in Imperial terms there is not a great difference between them - but agree they are different. I was looking to have greater separation between calibre/energy/effective range for my second barrel. In my mind, I am looking at a .300 calibre and probably a .300 Win Mag. Great range of bullet weights, good for plains game (if I ever get there - which is an ambition) and great for long range target shooting. It would also work nicely in the Alps.

As for the Permit de Chasseur ("PdC") course, yes I did give my London address and was able to be signed off medically by a French doctor living in London. The regional hunting association that I contacted were very welcoming and accommodating. One of the volunteer presenters is a chairman of an ACCA (ie local hunting collective) and was also kind enough to invite me hunting in his area. So happy days thus far. From my understand there is no restriction on foreigners in applying for the course and the permit provided you jump through the hoops. From my studies French law requires all hunters in France to have some form of permit and an appropriate animal tag (but the latter species dependent) but typically hunting tourist get effectively a weekend or weekly permit - usually organised by the local French hunting guide. I am hoping that having the PdC will make trips to other Continental European countries easier as Dom has experienced (although by reputation the German licence is expensive and timely to pass).

As for the change of law or re-categorisation of military calibres I do not definitely know the answer. And I do not pretend to understand the legislative process in France. I was told that certain changes in this respect would come into place early next year.

I hope this helps,
Ado

trambly71

Post by trambly71 »

Morning Ado,

That's a good flat shooting caliber the 6.5x55. It would be great if they sorted things out in France. They have a few differences of course and I'm sure you'll have come across them in your Permis de Chasse notes. In all honesty though it is certainly a much better place to be a shooter than the UK in terms of buying/owning/using and how it is perceived as a sport. If I find anything new about any changes I'll post them on the site;

If you need any help with the permit, questions or otherwise please ask. I think the hardest for the theory was knowing the different duck species. I'm not sure what stage you are at but if doing the theory there are several FDC sites that have test questions. You should have received the 2013 book to help you revise?

Once you have your Permis you'll need to validate it before hunting. You can choose a single department, 2 departments or National and then for small game or larger game. The first time you pass you'll get the permit for about 60 euros/hunting season and the following years you'll pay the full price. If you're only going to be hunting in mainly one dept it is worth just choosing that and saving money - of course maybe you have the funds to do whatever. Both small and large game for all depts in France costs over 400€/year whereas for just one dept is is less than 100€ so quite a difference. You'll need insurance too and if you choose a French company the basic minimum is bout 20€/year. I imagine if you are only in France once a year for short time it could be more expensive than a temp permit but you'll know.

I can't imagine the UK allowing an overseas resident doing the same as France. Anyway 'bon courage 'in your tests.

Mark

desullivan

Post by desullivan »

Welcome Mark-great to read you are back into it!!!

Ed

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That sounds complicated, but good luck I hope you enjoy the experience.
Nothing wrong with the Swede its a great round, although give a little thought about the 300wby over the win mag, same recoil but flatter shooting.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”