Missing ammo showed up and airline liability for lost package?

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

thechamp
Administrator

Missing ammo showed up and airline liability for lost package?

Post by thechamp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am

Had it noted in my other post that Delta/KLM had lost the package that had the remaining ammo in it from the Africa hunt. Doing a separate post due to some questions on the liability the airline has when they lose your luggage.

Monday afternoon I was in San Antonio on other business but had time to go by and see Delta and inquire as to my missing ammo box. Talked with two different reps. The first one tried to dump me off on KLM and I reminded him that I flew on Delta tickets and that they had hired/partnered with KLM for this one leg of the flight and that the ammo box should have been unloaded from the KLM flight and loaded back onto their Delta flight out of Amsterdam. He checked the computer and found that there was nothing there regarding my missing luggage. The lady at the same counter had taken my claim check and failed to provide me with a 'file' showing the box was missing. Went back to the ticket counter where you check in and visited with a fellow there. He too couldn't find anything but he pulled a copy of the itinerary and promised to have a supervisor look into it. Both indicated the original baggage person had failed to do their job. They also said that usually within 5 days of not being claimed the luggage goes to a Delta warehouse in Atlanta where it is set to be auctioned off.

Yesterday while at work I received a text from Delta that they were bringing a box out to the house. The text continued with progress reports until it was 'delivered'. Sure nuff when I got home last night it was sitting there. Locks were still in place and the case wasn't damaged. Checked the contents and all was there as well. Now I'm wondering where it was and what transpired after I complained on Monday. Was it in Amsterdam in a storage area or ???? The package was delivered within 24 hours of my airport visit.

Biggest thing in the box that I was going to miss was the 300 grain TSX slug that went through the wart hog and stuck under the skin on the left shoulder. It had expanded to perfection and I planed on putting it with the mount when the time comes. Nice to have the missing ammo as well since it was almost 3 full boxes to boot.

Lastly something I learned at the Delta counter was the limit of liability for a missing piece of luggage is $3500. The value of the R8 with the added mods and the Swarovski Z8i are probably in the $7K range with ease. Had they lost it things would have really sucked. Lesson learned that future trips anywhere the scope will be in another piece of luggage. He said they used to allow people to purchase additional insurance at $100 for each $1000 worth of coverage but had discontinued the practice. I questioned the price being that high and he said it was. No idea if he knew what he was talking about or not but that would be ridiculous. Easier to just put it in another luggage case for an additional $200 and have the $3500 protection for that case. Interested to hear what others have found regarding insurance. The insurance I bought for the trip through Travel Guard had $1000 in coverage for baggage and personal effects.

Any other options out there to cover your toys? Many of us don't fly very often so it would be nice to have some advice/info as to what to do next time.

stokesrj

Re: Missing ammo showed up and airline liability for lost package?

Post by stokesrj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 am

Most homeowners insurance also covers your firearms wherever they are, mine does, I also have a S100,000 rider on my policy in addition that specifically covers my firearms with detailed descriptions, photo's and values for each. My policy states that it covers them anywhere in the world which was standard, I didn't specify this.
Robert J Stokes

Ringo

Post by Ringo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:46 pm

I have firearms insurance, too, that covers them during travel. Relying on the airlines insurance company isn't the best decision.

Besides, since I've had insurance, I've never lost anything ...
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:41 pm

A couple of Australian Shooting organisations offer insurance for firearms at an additional nominal fee. From discussions I’ve had with their insurance officers this coverage extends to overseas trips but other hunting equipment such as expensive binos aren’t covered. So they stay in hand luggage.
Was thinking I might have needed to test the policy when I dropped my r93 but other than having to reposition the scope it came out with less noticeable scars than the rest of us.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 am

Different country, different rulles... but my home insurance covers my hunting and fishing gear against loss or accidental damage, and they have been helpful when I have claimed. Worth investigating.
/Vaughan

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 am

I'll have to inquire with my insurance company. They are great in so far as guns stolen from home, etc. They don't require separate coverage at a higher price. They consider whatever guns you have to be insured without riders and at a $200 deductible. Only company I've seen that does this. But they are a bit on the weird side in that if I have a tractor in the shop or 'off my premises' it's not covered. If it's on a trailer that's hooked to the truck it is covered. Thus my thinking is that guns once off the premises aren't covered either. They are a farmer's mutual company with good rates so it might be worthwhile to explore other insurance in the event I were to take another trip. Thanks for the info...

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 pm

My last trip to NZ I put $30k on my gear. Didn't cost much at all $150aud. You would be surprised how quickly everything adds up.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Champ,
I had to specify on my policy that I wanted this option but I don't recall that it costs me extra, or if it does it is not much. I've never claimed for a rifle but I have claimed (and they agreed to pay) for a couple of split cane rods that were lost when the fellow who was repairing them in Pennsylvania sadly had a heart attack - worth sniffing around. Good luck!

The rods, incidentally, were recovered through a remarkable chain of good fortune and good friends and I was able to cancel the claim but this was after the insurance company had agreed to payout about 5k USD for them...
/Vaughan

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am

deerhunter338mag wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 pm
My last trip to NZ I put $30k on my gear. Didn't cost much at all $150aud. You would be surprised how quickly everything adds up.
Is that all?? :teasing-signhere: :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 am

TheoR8 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am
deerhunter338mag wrote:
i'm not trying to keep up with the jones .... :lol: :lol:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am

TheoR8 wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
He doesn't travel with a suite of scoped R8s :lol:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

secondtry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am
TheoR8 wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
He doesn't travel with a suite of scoped R8s :lol:
yep one scope man.... :lol: :lol:

Return to “Open discussion”