Winchester ballistic silvertip 300 win mag opinions

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Wille

Winchester ballistic silvertip 300 win mag opinions

Post by Wille »

Hi

Ran out of Federal trophy bonded tip ammo and have an ELK hunt comming soon, I shoot a 300 Win Mag.
Only ammo I can get my hands on and shoot are the Winchester ballistic silvertip in 180 grain.
Not my best choice, but only available and do not want to play with ammo the day befor the hunt.

Would appreciate your comments with regards to this ammo, thanks.

Regards, Wille

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Winchester ballistic silvertip 300 win mag opinions

Post by Rod »

G'day mate, sorry but I have no experience with the modern Winchester Silvertips in 300 mag. (The old Winchester Silvertips projectiles used to expand and go off like handgrenades but I think they ceased producing them 20 plus years ago.) anyway back to the subject...seeing that There doesn't seem to be too many people here with experience of them I thought i'd say this. If that ammo is all you have available then it will have to do. I'm sure we overthink thus ammunition/projectile thing all too often...I know I probably do. If that ammo shoots into 2 - 3 inches at 100 yards then I'm sure that you won't have any problems hitting an elk in the heart lung area up to 300 yards. And I reckon any 180 grain pill into the heart lungs is sure to be fatal.

Enjoy your hunt. Good luck.
Rod

SPEEDY

Re: Winchester ballistic silvertip 300 win mag opinions

Post by SPEEDY »

I've used them in 30/06, not to bad actually, not the strongest construction but not soft.
Their about the same as any other soft point.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Open discussion”